baconfiend
Newly Registered

Growing starts from seed in my garage?

My wife and I are thinking about starting vegetables from seed in our garage early next year and taking the starts to the farmer's market.

I have the space and I have lighting, but my biggest concern is heat. It will still be somewhat cold that time of year. Anyone have thoughts on a very inexpensive heat source? Maybe heating cables or something similar?

Any other thoughts or concerns would be great!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lots of information in the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48]Seed Starting Forum[/url]

This is one option [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33290]Propagation Chamber[/url]

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You are in the midwest. I am in Mo and I start all my plants in a cold basement with on heat vent. Trust me that single heat vent doesn't do a whole lot. :lol: But I manage I even put a small oil filled heater kind of like the old style radiator heaters in houses if you get my drift. It doens't get real warm but may take it up a few degrees.

Be carefull with any heat sources. I have had a heating pad not like MarlinG's but a seedling heat mat almost burn my house down this summer as well as a 4 bulb shop light I have used for a long time that got hot enough to turn off and not use anymore. Don't mean to scare you but just be careful.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

As long as it doesn't freeze, the air doesn't have to be real warm, just the soil. I use the same heating pads as MarlinG. I've also had mine for years. The newer ones tend to have automatic timed cut off, you don't want that.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”