sen2two

Growing year round in Central Florida

Here are my plans... (Sorry it's so long!!!)

I am looking to build two separate mid-sized green houses. They will be 4.5 feet wide, 6 foot tall peaked center with 4 foot tall side walls. And 6 foot in length. There will be 3 trophs in each built from wood placed in a U shape against the side and rear wall so I have the center to take care of all plants. The frame will be built from 2x4's and lined with 6mil plastic sheet.

The trophs will be built all the same size. Which is 4 foot by 15 inch, and 2 foot in depth. They will have legs that are 6 inchs tall. This will only leave 1.5 feet from the height of the dirt to the side wall top. So I plan to place the shorter plants along the side walls, and the taller plants at the back wall where they will have 3.5 feet from the dirt to peak to grow.

*as I stated in the title, I live in central Florida (Orlando) and am looking to grow a few veggies to eat year round. Reason is, I want to become more self sufficient and control more of what I consume.

*Questions:

1.The reason I am building two is so I can have one house for warm weather plants, and another for cool/cold weather plants. This way I can control the temperatures in each and continue to grow and produce food year round. Is this even possible?

-Plants I am looking to grow (each one in there own troph (except for Spinach & strawberries which will grow in the same):

-Cool/Cold house: Broccoli, Carrots, Spinach & strawberries,
-Warm house: Red bell peppers, Jalapenos, Tomatoes

2. How should I go about controlling temperature? I was thinking lighting at the peak on the warm weather tent for cold winter nights. Although, we don't get many of those anyways in Orlando. What lights should I choose, and what size? And for the cold weather house, I was thinking of using a small evaporative cooler and some ventilation areas in the walls. Will this work?

-What temperature should I try to keep the cool weather, and warm weather tents?

3. Would it be beneficial to build a drip system? I want this to be as successful as possible since I plan to eat these veggies year round. I think a drip system would take the guess work and mistakes out of watering for a newbie like myself...

4. Should I also cover the floor of the green house with the 6mil plastic sheet to ward off bugs and other un-wanteds? I plan to grow 100% organic with zero pesticides/chemicals...

THANKS!!!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240449#240449

So the idea is summer broccoli and winter tomatoes? All your cool weather crops will grow all winter in FL without a greenhouse.

I'm not sure it is so simple as just temps. For sure the winter tomatoes won't do great unless along with additional heat, you provide additional light. Days are shorter in winter, even in FL unless you are down near Key West or somewhere in tropical FL.

I don't have any idea what broccoli would do in the summer if kept air-conditioned. But of course greenhouses have no insulation, so trying to maintain temperatures significantly different than ambient will be hideously expensive. The idea of the usual greenhouse is that in moderately cold weather, especially sunny cold weather, solar energy will heat it up in the day time. Passive solar collectors can give some of that heat back at night, thus hopefully keeping the greenhouse still a few degrees above ambient, which can be supplemented with powered heat.

For the cool crops in summer, the solar energy is working against you, not for you. It would be easier, and way less power drain just to grow the summer broccoli indoors in airconditioned space under lights. And no a "small evaporative cooler" will not keep a glass house cool in an Orlando summer.

Eat with the seasons!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But understand, I don't live in Florida and I don't have a greenhouse. I'd be glad to hear what more experienced folks think of these plans....

RickRS

Evaporative cooling doesn't work very well in Florida. The summer humidity is too high to allow much of a temperature drop. It will help control heat build up so the house isn't in the 100s but it not going to allow you to drop the daytime '90s temperature down to low '70s for cool weather plants.

So I would only plan on using greenhouses to grow summer vegetables in the winter.

sen2two

So maybe one green house will do for the warm weather plants outside and grow the cool weather plants in doors?

What type of lighting would I need? I was thinking of using my attic space. It's large enough for me to walk around in. I could use part of a spare bedroom I have, but I would rather use the attic if its possible...

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I live relatively close by, not sure how a greenhouse of any sort will help in summer - I agree with other posts, would be very expensive trying to keep it cool - I have been doing this for a few years, I am no expert, but I can say without a doubt, you will be fine almost all year with peppers, they love the heat and I have had no issues growing any, hot or regular. I freeze the extras for the few months they do not produce, this year they never stopped - just been great weather. * The year we had the unseasonable winter in 2010 was an exception. Tomatoes need the sun, plain and simple, but not extreme temps - I have tried them all year, even trying heat tolerant varieties from university of Florida and when summer comes ( or I should say the heat comes ) they just do nothing, they will not set in those temps. I Grow broccoli from about october till about now, just planted my last batch, it will soon be too hot and they will bolt. My tomatoes I started from seed in Dec, they are doing fantastic. I am also growing Brussels sprouts, peas, beans and chard right now, and lots of lettuce mixes, I have no luck with squash, so can't help you there, the *^%#* bugs get them every time. I think you may be alright if you just do what you can in the ground or pots, I put a lot in pots
and if we get really bad weather, I pull them in garage or patio. I do have some in ground as well - I just cover my bases, work too hard to lose it all. Florida weather is unpredictable, look at how hot it has been this winter. I wish you luck, if you do the greenhouse, let us know how it goes, I would be very interested. :D

applestar
Mod

You could also consider a Shade House -- same frame as greenhouse but covered all around with shade cloth -- to stave off the summer/heat.

In any case, I'm moving this to the Greenhouse Forum. :wink:

ETA: Ah, thanks Rainbow. I locked that other one now to avoid confusion.
ETA2: Take a look at the subterranean heating/cooling system thread. I've made it a sticky.

FG Ryan
Newly Registered

I live in Northwest Florida and our weather is much the same. All I do in the summer time is roll up 2 sides of the greenhouse. In the winter I use a space heater on nights that go below 32 degrees, all 3 of them. That helps keep the temps a few degrees higher than the outside, but it will dry out your plants so watch out. I grow pepper year round in there no problem.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”