theblarney
Newly Registered

Newbie to gardening and greenhouse's

Hi,

I have moved from a terraced house with a very small garden to a much bigger house with a nice greenhouse at the bottom.

The greenhouse could do with some love as some of the panes have slipped off and broken and with two small kids I'm considering Polycarbonate.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

I have noticed that I can have options like twinwall, Acrylic and ploycarbonate and that the polycarbonate comes in 2, 3 and 4mm thick sheets, I don't want to spend a fortune but at the same time I want the best possible chance of actually growing something.

With all the choice, I'm not sure what is right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gavin

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

I'm sure you'll enjoy your greenhouse -

regards glazing, the basics:
plain ole' ordinary soda lime glass is the clearest and transmits the most light.

it can be done in "tempered safety glass" - you may have to special order it - highly recommended (at minimum) for overhead - with small children, probably a good idea all around. tempered glass is also a bit "stronger" than normal glass.

polycarbonate and acrylic will stand up best in the plastics category.
single layer acrylic light transmission is nearest glass.

the primary purpose for multi-layered plastics is insulation - in that regard, the thicker the better "air layer" is trapped.

the down side is light transmission drops off dramatically on the multi-layered stuff.

at your latitude, getting good light is an important factor.

>>not spend a fortune . . .
okay, around here they define "a boat" as a hole in the into which you pour money.
greenhouses are simply boats turned upside down . . . (g)

lily51
Greener Thumb

Dillbert...lol! We had a boat and now have a greenhouse! Your assessment is correct. :lol:

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”