lily51
Greener Thumb

Red pepper powder insect deterrent?

Has anyone heard if a red pepper powder with maybe some sort of citrus in it used to deter insects like white flies in greenhouses?
Does it work? If so where can it be purchased?
Also heard that it is irritating to human noses. If that's true it doesn't sound so good.
Is this a real lead or is this a joke ?
I have put up the yellow sticky pads I made, but would like other ways to
keep insects at bay.
Thanks in advance for your input.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes cayenne and citrus oils are both used against insects, sometimes together. OrangeGuard is a commercial insecticide, citrus based. There's lots of other organic choices. Organocide is sesame oil based and there's lots of Neem oil products.

Lots of people make their own homemade sprays (the pepper is best applied as spray, not powder). Since garlic is also potent against insects (sometimes as repellant not killer, but whatever keeps them away from your plants).

Put 2-3 cloves of garlic, a couple hot peppers (or a half teaspoon or so of cayenne powder) in a quart of water, with a drop of two of non-detergent liquid soap and a tsp of salad oil. Blend them up in the blender. Let it stand for a day or so at room temp. Strain it through layers of cheesecloth or a coffee filter and spray.

For whiteflies just a soapy water spray should be enough.

soil
Greener Thumb

I have found that just blasting them with a hose daily works best. Citrus like all the water, the whiteflies hate it, and you end up with clean fruit. I prefer a strong shower head spray.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the info. I'll be all prepared if any critters show up! :)

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”