Asthma76
Newly Registered

New greenhouse problems.

Hello all,
I've started a herb/veg greenhouse this last summer and I've had nothing but problems. It's a 6x12 greenhouse. First half on both sides I have Herbs: Basils, parsley, thyme, dill, rosemary, mint... and the second half is different types of peppers and persian cucumbers. for awhile I had the watering set for 3 times a week about 6 minutes each time. Didn't get good results. Then I switched it to more water, and that didn't work. So I added a misting system. That did't work. I changed the watering to once a week. At this point I have everything chopped down. Not sure where to go from here. I've also started a compost, hoping that will help out. I would appreciate any tips. Watering, soil, temperature...
Thank you

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

where are you located?

the greenhouse - hard covered (ie glass) or plastic film or plastic sheets?
is it heated? automatic venting?

that will help a lot in understanding the basics of what's going on.

my initial reaction to the list of crops is: their cultural needs are different.
herbs like thyme, rosemary, dill prefer much drier conditions than basil / parsley, for example.

presuming you're in the northern hemisphere, even if in a non-snow bound area, during the winter sunlight is not nearly as strong as during the summer. pretty much everything will sulk and all but go dormant in cases.

I had a glass to ground lean-to style - 12x21 - heat, autovents, running water, circulating fans, the works. despite all that growing "summer crops" was very marginally successful. onions, green leafy crops like leaf lettuce/spinach adapted much better.

green/sweet peppers and cucumbers aren't likely to thrive where temps are dipping into the 40's/50's on a nightly basis.

you might want to research the cultural info / guidelines for the stuff you want to grow and see how close your greenhouse set-up can get to their "ideal"

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”