barnercora

greenhouse flooring!!!

I use number#89 gravel on mine...
[img]https://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/barnercora/DSC02441.jpg[/img] laid weed cloth under it and 3-4 inches deep of gravel on top. Easy on your feet when your inside working for long time.

johnnortredamme
Newly Registered

I was actually recommended to use pea gravel but don't know a thing about Greenhouse flooring. Is the number#89 gravel pea gravel?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Since I am in the carpet business I have used carpet on the floors everywhere. I turn the carpet with the back up most of the time unless I get some used outdoor carpe then I piut the carpet side up. My floor does not get wet much and is very dry!, The heat dries it out and less bugs from the floors! I like it and it works from me.
+++
I also like pea gravel or a few inches of 2 b gravel with a a inch of pea grael on top for a smoother surface.! The 2 b is twice the size of the pea gravel and gives a nice firm base to the pea gravel!

pondlady

I had the gravel in mine!! Hated it!! I went to the local Greenhouses to see what they used. Every on had the black landscaping fabric on there floors. WOW! Why did I not think of that. Removed the rocks and put down the fabric.
LOVE! LOVE! LOVE it. Rocks are messy, they get everywhere, they trap and hold trash and bugs love to hide in there. No more rocks for me! I hated them in my ponds as well! nothing but a mess. IMHO!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

The 100 foot greenhouses I torn down had the black fabric on the floor. I have about 14 by 100 feet of it. It does not have holes like the landscape material and is 14 feet wide and tuff! They held itdown with heavy wire pegs with a closed oval top. They were hard to get out of the ground going about a foot down! I guess they stretched the material then put the pegs in!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I think the floor has a lot to do with what you use your green house for. I plan to grow tomato plans in the soil so I will have soil on the floor. I will have a walk path down the center. I will have to wait and see if the walk area gets muddy if it does I will put down some 5/4 pressure treated deck lumber the full length of the green house about 2 ft wide to walk on.

andits1992
Newly Registered

johnnortredamme wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:58 pm
I was actually recommended to use pea gravel but don't know a thing about Greenhouse flooring. Is the number#89 gravel pea gravel?
DON'T use pea gravel where you are going to walk. You want crushed gravel that will pack down not pea gravel which rolls.

For more information visit here: https://www.ambientbp.com/bamboo-flooring-101.php

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”