Handsomeryan
Cool Member

I hate rolling benches.

Some background: My greenhouse is used to grow research plants [mostly tobacco, tomatoes, rice, and a few Appalachian medicinal plants) and therefore is not open to the public and really even the scientists rarely come see their actual plants they just think of them as a source for tissue samples.

The greenhouse is equipped with rolling benches. For those of you who've never been in a teaching, research or production greenhouse before- rolling benches are just what they sound like- benches that are set on rollers so you only need one aisle and you can roll the benches side-to-side to determine where that aisle is at any given time. The idea is that it maximizes space but the reality is that it make for tight rows and doing any real work inside the GH is a pain. I'd rather scrap the benches and grow everything on the floor.

Anyone else here use rolling benches? Do you like them? How about the rest of you? Do you grow on stationary benches or on the floor?

applestar
Mod

Don't use one... Don't have greenhouse, but can you post a picture or would that be considered industrial espionage? :wink:

lily51
Greener Thumb

Have a greenhouse, but no rolling benches. Know of a commercial greenhouse nearby that does have them and I always thought they were ingenious use of space! But then, I never had to try to work in one.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Small greenhouses most likely have fixed benches or temporary tables.

Mine has neither. I have raised beds and rebar shelving. New for me is the bottom watering shelf.

Eric

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”