lily51
Greener Thumb

New additions to greenhouse

This is the third year for my 18' x 28' greenhouse. I love it! But like most greenhouse owners, was out of room my second year! So this year, I had a 16' long cold frame added along the side of the garden house attached to the greenhouse. What a perfect solution for the overflowing perennials.
The warm, sunny days have been few and far between, so will let you know how it works once things heat up (July? August? ha!) :flower:

Also added two rows of metal tubing (conduit)on each side for hanging baskets. The greenhouse is just beautiful now!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I have about the same area greenhouse space as you do. Both of mine have 500 gallons of water for heat storage..
+++
My new one is a 12 by 16 A frame and it really worked out nice with a water catcher on the north roof! The water fills about a 50 gallon drum in several hours with a medium rain! I have about 8 cold frames that really help with lettuce and other early crops!
+++
I grew all my plants without any heat from march till now! All my plants are great. The new A frame was just to expand the old solar greenhouse april and only has one layer of plastic!. The ld greenhouse maintaines a lowest 32 degree temp from feb 15 till now! Most days the inside temp was 50 to 80 but from april ill now the windows have top be open on sunny days or the 120 temp will be reached! May add on more next year. Good luck with yours!

lily51
Greener Thumb

Wow! you are really into the seed starting business! I can see how helpful coldframes can be, plus energy efficient for the right plant.

Where is your water stored for the themal mass? Is it outside with tubing to inside the greenhouse or is it in the greenhouse? Don't know where I would put 500 gal tak of anykind inside the greenhouse. Just shows there are many ingenious ways to grow plants. :)

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Just get 50 gallon drums and use then for supports for your tables. I have some smaller plastic square containers on the floor that only hold 20 gallon. A small brick pile here and there also will collect heat during the day and release it at night! My problem was getting the seeds started with the 30 to 35 degree nights inside the green house while the outside temp was 10! This next year
+++
I will make a small seed starting area like a mini greenhouse inside my grenhouse or a sweat chamber!! Wil will use a small amount of electric to heat it at night to start the seeds. One they start they are fine!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”