Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Why I need a second solar greenhouse!

My solargreenhouse is rough constructed 24 by 17 area that has 40 seed boxes ready to have full sun in another 10 days! I don't have enough room without giving up too much light! This week I will start on my new A frame solar greenhouse 15 by 12 but it can be extended easily not like the one I have now! Without the water storage in the greenhouse my plants would freeze with even outside temp below 30 degrees for one night without heat.! The cabbage and cole crops no problem but the tom and pep would die fast! This will be a fun project!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I will try to get this new greenhouse built this week end! I have decided to buy 2by 4 by 10s- 6 of them for each side of the A frame! I will also need 3 2by 4 by 8s for each side. The center of the A will be about 8 foot high. I will make panels 4 by 10 and wrap them with 4 mill plastic and screw them together from the inside! The span will be 12 foot inside. The backwall will be insulated with a styrofoam that has a alum sheeting on one side that will face the inside of the greenhouse! The outside of the back wall will be covered with painted flake board! I will get some pictures of the finished product! The angle of the walls will be about 75 degrees. There will be a door on both ends! I will puy several 50 gallon drums of water in it right away! I will figure a total cost and post it later!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Rain and more rain this weekend. I am hoping to get started on the new greenhouse. I will make a 12 by 16 frame first only 2 feet high. Once I get that done I will add the A frame to the top of it. I will let you know what happens next week!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Green House is all done and came ut better than I even planed! Even my water trough worked great! I only put a single plastic layer so for now I only am puttin my boxes with the cold temp plants like broccoli cabbage lettuce and peas!
+++
The A frame is 12 by 16 inside and I have alot of shelf space. I put in 3 - 3 ft. by 4 ft alum double pain winder windows with screens. Putting in the windows was easy on the angled walls. I just set then between the 2 by 4's and lid them to the height I wanted! I covered the windows with a 4 mill plastic that covers the one sun side of the A frame.
+++
To expose the window I uses a foam carpet pad cut in one inch strips and stappled it around the window to hold the plastic then cut out the plastic so I could use the screens of the windows! I only cut one windows plastic cover out for now. Took some pictures and will try to get them on here soon!
Last edited by Bobberman on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

New greenhouse has a angled 2 by 4 near the bottom of the north roof area. The board is 2 foot above the ground and drains the roof into a barrel! It filled a 50 gallon barrel up in one rain! This week I will run a syphon hose into 2 other 50 gallon drums. The one barrel will be my watering barrel and will get its watter from all three barrels at one time! I should not run out of rain water all summer!! I will have at least 6 - 50 gallon drums in the solar green house before the end of summer .Is this FUN or WHAT!
+++
I was thinking of making a working table in the middle of the greenhouse using a 125 gallon oil tank that will be connected to all the other barrels! I will lay it on its flat side! I may also heat the water in the big tank to keep the greenhoue above freezing on very cold days. The tank will also be my sweat chamber seed starting area since I can keep the temp of the water 75 degrees all the time just by hooking it to a 10 gallon hot water 110 ac tank with a pump! I will set the tank on a insulated area!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”