hugh

In Ireland - well at least in the North - bedding plants and veg for planting out are behind because of what is jokingly called the spring in those parts. This can be a major advantage of a green house.

Now if you want to make a bit of pocket money you can grow these for yourself and sell the inevitable surplus. This also has the advantge of clearing out the space for the summer crops e.g. tomaotoes, cucumbers etc.

By the way you do need a gap in the growing schedule to sterilise the soil and the total green house. Because of the humid conditions in Ireland, it is essential once a year to make sure you are totally clear and 100% sterilised. You may get away with it the first year but subsequent years it is essential.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A good tip there, Hugh. Hygiene and biological control are the cornerstone of good greenhouse management.

While sunlight remains the best sterilant I know, what other measures are you taking? Pests in particular can be an issue; The "Q Strain" of whitefly is tearing up the bedding plant community here due to it's pesticide resistance. Are you planning on chemical or biological controls?

HG

hugh

An old fashioned steriliser for green houses in Ireland is Jeyes Fluid. In fact it is usefull product to have around for general pest control. It is non systemic. It is the only product I found that would 100% deter slugs.

I used it as a preventative, if it was not effective then I would use something more specific.

But make surre you get the dosage right. It is totally diffferent for sterilising and pest control. My wife once mixed up the two and sterilised a few rows of vegetables, they died pronto.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

What's the active ingredient? (if yopu and Mr. Jeyes don't mind me asking... :lol: )

HG

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”