lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Looking for the Sun

My greenhouse location has worked OK, and was the best I could do at the time. Two seasons of starting plants have been successful. Problems: (1) I have lots of trees, (2) greenhouse is on west side of a larger building, (3) one side faces north wind, (4) when it is time to put the plants outside for hardening, I have to tote each flat out of the greenhouse into an area that gets more sun, and then I have to carry each one back when the temps are going to be dangerous.

Current location:

I have another shed area that is basically just for storage, and it is on the southeast side. "South side" does not mean full sun because of my trees, but it does mean more than I have now. Also, the lean to has one wall facing due east, and the north wind will be blocked by the majority of the shed. Also, I plan to reuse roofing and siding materials from each location.

Will take some work, but I think I will make the switch. Current greenhouse can then become a good tool/work shed using the same shelves I have already for plants.

Here is the overall look. Nasty but effective. What do you think?

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

That look great. You have a very nice place there. We used that same plastic on our greenhouse. I commiserate with you carrying your plants back and forth to protect them, did this myself this morning because of the snow. Like to see more of your place this summer.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Hearing no objections (my wife is out of town visiting grandson), the process has begun:

Will take some time, but I plan to go slow and include some touches that I have been wishing for in the old greenhouse. The old one was fun to work in, and grand children loved it. Hopefully, the new one continues the fun, with more sun.

valley
Greener Thumb

The addition looks good, every new bit helps. We have the same thing going on with our trees. We have acres of pine and fir but only one incense cedar and it's on the south side of the greenhouse, we would hate to cut it down. There are others I'll take down to add earlier direct sun. Post pictures as the work progresses.

Richard

applestar
Mod

I thought you were talking about the really dark addition-like area to the left. :o
This looks like a good start and I'd like to vicariously enjoy the building process too. :D

This winter, I looked around the back and side yards to see if there were any potential greenhouse location, but during the low-arc sun winter months, most the back and side yards are shaded all or most of the day by the neighbors' and our own houses as well as the trees behind the property. Only nearly full sun in winter areas are in the front yard.... :?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Idea #1

One of my goals for the new GH is to easily get plants to a spot where they can begin the hardening process, when we have some beautiful early spring sunshine. Please excuse the crude drawing below ( I cannot cut a straight line with scissors, either), but this is my first idea--to be able to basically "open up" the south side wall. This entire wall will be storm windows (from the exisiting greenhouse) and a glass panel door that I have from the little lake cabin when I first bought it. The idea is that "A" & "B" will open left and right respectively to produce a huge opening in that wall. The plants can be easily shifted to outside/inside, was weather dictates.

Also, I have this idea to cut some pallets in half, develop a great way for them to fit on the tractor front in loader, and they can just be moved and replaced with the tractor.

Item "C" is the glass panel door, opening to the left. It's a thought.

valley
Greener Thumb

Not sure I get what you mean. what about the loader?

I have forks that fit on the front end loader, Pallets can be picked up with the forks. Is that what you have in mind? To lift a pallet of plants and take them into the sun?

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

valley wrote:Not sure I get what you mean. what about the loader?

I have forks that fit on the front end loader, Pallets can be picked up with the forks. Is that what you have in mind? To lift a pallet of plants and take them into the sun?
Yes, that is what I mean. And, I can start tomatoes in some large containers, and move them outside in the springtime, getting a head start. I do not have pallet forks at this time, but see the need. I have a tooth bar on my front end loader, that are not quite long enough.

I am always trying to do my projects without buying too many new toys. But the pallet fork addition my be a no-brainer

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Some Progress

I got a little bit done on the new greenhouse location today. This part took some time since it dealt with the area that will be on hinges to open up a large portion of the wall. So far so good..

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Some Progress

I got a little bit done on the new greenhouse location today. This part took some time since it dealt with the area that will be on hinges to open up a large portion of the wall. So far so good..

valley
Greener Thumb

Now that's looking good and functional. You weren't just talking, you did it.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

valley wrote:Now that's looking good and functional. You weren't just talking, you did it.
More progress today. It is taking shape.

The old greenhouse will become a tool shed/work shed/place for grand children to play when it is raining. Roof is on, but lot of work to be done.

valley
Greener Thumb

That baby looks pretty good!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

valley wrote:That baby looks pretty good!
We got a pretty good rain last evening, so I went out to the new and old greenhouse to see about leaks. The old greenhouse, that now has sheathing, felt and the old tin, did great----no leaks that I could find. The plastic over the greenhouse, however, has some old screw holes that allowed some water in.

No big deal, but I want to seal them.....Any ideas, other than rook tar? Do they make a tube of root tar that I could just stick in the holes from underneath, squirt, and fill the hole?

valley
Greener Thumb

Yes, Silicon, seals and dries clear.

Richard

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

The new greenhouse location now has more sunlight, grow lights, exhaust fan, water, shelves, heater, access to larger shed. Ready to grow some plants.

The old location is becoming a tool shed/work shed. Both will be very handy. I left some of the clear plastic roof on the old location (because is was cut at such an angle that it could not be reused). Turned out to be a pretty good idea, lets in lots of sunlight.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Finally getting some use from a unique feature I included in the greenhouse.

I included a large door that opens up almost half of one wall. Recently, I installed some shelves on that large door.

The plants sit safely inside the greenhouse on cold days and nights.

Then, by just opening the door they can get direct sunlight and can gradually harden until ready for the garden.

valley
Greener Thumb

Good plan, are you close to the lake there? It's too early here to think about firing up the greenhouse

Richard

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

valley wrote:Good plan, are you close to the lake there? It's too early here to think about firing up the greenhouse Richard
Yes, we live on Lake Martin in central Alabama. Love waking up and looking out across that smooth water. Like it even better to see tomatoes growing down near the water.

Has been a different year here too for greenhouse growing. I normally keep a couple of pepper plants throughout the winter, and then they are ready to start producing in spring. But this year, a few nights of 10 degrees and my little one burner propane could not protect them.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”