dtownjbrown6262

Looking For A Tall-Growing, Long-Blooming Perennial

I'm in the process of preparing the area between my driveway & my neighbor's backyard and am probably a good two months from actually planting anything due to my under-estimating how long it would take to amend the soil......but I wanted to get a head start on searching for a tall, long blooming perennial that I could use for privacy.

The area is about 30 feet long and 8 feet wide (my neighbors backyard is next to the 30ft side). Ideally, I'm wanting something that grows tall but not too wide because I want to plant other perennials in front of the "tall-grower".

The area faces east, so it will get plenty of morning sun, but there arent any permanent sturctures around the area so it may get full sun all day long (I'll have to go out and check when I'm finished posting this topic). Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated? Thanks :-)

Luvasiamese2

Well, I can't attest to how fast they will spread.... I think relatively fast, but I do know that it grows tall. How about pampas grass, or some of the other tall ornamental grasses? It is tall, fairly inexpensive (you said you had a large area to cover), would make a pale backdrop for shorter colored perennials you could plant in the front and they move with the breezes, making them pretty interesting. It's not a flower, but something to consider. :D

dtownjbrown6262

I did a search on the pampas grass and WOW....is it pretty :-)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Corderia jubata, or pampas grass, is an invasive species. The map at this url =>

https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COJU2

shows that it hasn't yet spread to the Midwest/Old Northwest. Be thankful.

There must be other plants suited both to your region and your property. Is there an independent garden-supply store/nursery near you whose advice you could seek?

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

dtownjbrown6262

Thanks for the "heads up" on its invasive nature (whew, that was close).

Luvasiamese2

I'm sorry... I didn't know that pampas grass was called invasive. I have never heard that term used with pampas grass. There are a lot of decorative grasses that could be used other than pampas grass, including the red one I mentioned.... and doesn't invasive just mean that it spreads? There was a pretty huge area that needed covering and I guess I thought that spreading would be a good thing. A lot of people in my neighborhood have small areas of pampas grass or other decorative grasses in their yards as accents and they don't seem to take over. Again, I apologize if the information I offered was inaccurate. :oops:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's a nice description (including definition and further explanation) about what makes plants "invasive":

https://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazylandscaping/g/invasiveplant.htm

Invasive plants are almost universally non-native species to the region where they become "invasive," and many who have studied this (including the USDA, in discussion sites at the url I gave yesterday) feel that this is because natural predators and weather conditions which have previously kept a given plant in check are absent in its new home.

Example: kudzu. Kudzu is invasive in the American South and has now spread up to at least Virginia and over to Louisiana. I'm not sure of its current northwest bound. Kudzu was imported from Japan in the early 1900s as an erosion-control plant.

Unfortunately for the South, hard freezes--which were common in Japan--were much less common in Dixie. Hot weather and plentiful rain, which weren't in such abundant supply in Japan, were also available to kudzu in the South. There must be predatory insects/birds/animals and perhaps even disease or negative soil conditions for kudzu in Japan which also kept it under control, leading the Powers That Were in the early 1900s to settle upon it as their Chosen Plant.

None of these natural restrictors of kudzu were taken into account when the plant was imported to the U.S.

That's one example of the difference between a "well-behaved plant" (kudzu in Japan) and an "invasive plant" (kudzu in the South).

Pampas grass, Yellow Star Thistle, Scotch broom...many plants have been imported to California and are threatening the very last natural live oak/meadow habitats here, to the detriment of birds and other wildlife dependent on these ecosystems.

If you have a choice NOT to plant an invasive species, please observe that choice.

You've probably guessed by now that I had an "unfortunate kudzu experience" while I lived in Atlanta.

You're right! But that one only lasted two or three years (one particular residence). Unlike my experience with Bermuda grass in the '80s, I did *not* beat the kudzu. :( I gave up, due to the pressures of working my way through college while taking classes. I just cut it back from the front stairs and my windows and asked the landlord if he could do something about it. (He didn't.)

And I've discussed elsewhere at THG my unfortunate, and ongoing, English ivy experience in Berkeley ( over 15 years).

Given all the native plants in the Great Lakes region, there must be something quite wonderful :D that's suited to your yard, weather, soil, etc. Maybe a local independent gardening store could tell you about the Native Plant Society nearby; they'd for sure be able to give you some leads.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

DefiningYourHome
Newly Registered

I've had good luck with miscanthus 'Cosmopolitan' as an ornamental grass that is tall and not invasive. It makes a great background for dark colors as the foliage is green/white stripe. Purples, oranges and reds really show up great with Cosmopolitan in the background.

I wouldn't use a row of it, however as it might be too much of a good thing. A few groups of plantings with one Cosmo per group would work, I think.

Hope this helps,
Cameron

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Panicum virgatum "Northwind' might be a viable grass option for you. This grass usually grows 5' - 6' tall in a relatively tight column (much more so than any Miscanthus I'm familiar with). It does spread to some extent but it is not invasive. This particular cultivar was selected in Wisconsin but the species is native to Ohio (and most of the U.S.). Most tall ornamental grasses are slow starters so don't expect much of screen in the spring and early summer but from mid summer into winter this should do the job. It stays very upright in adverse weather but too much nitrogen and/or too much shade can lead to more lax growth.
There are a number of relatively tall forbs such as Eupatorium maculatum, Filipendula rubra, Veronia noveboracensis, Silphium perfoliatum, etc. that are relatively vertical in form and can grow to over 5'. Southern Ohio is well outside my bioregions of familiarity so some of these may not be appropriate.

Return to “Perennials”