andreau0101
Newly Registered

MIL tounge needs help

I have a MIL toungue that is about 30 years old. It branches are between 8 inches and almost 6 feet. It is kept indoors near a sliding glass door for light and doesnt seem to be over or under watered. The pot is appx 12 inches by 12 inches. Receintly I noticed that the top part of the branches were bending over. The bottom half seems to be healthy and fine but about half way up they are bending over and creasing. Because of this the branches are spliting vertically where the crease it. What is going on and how do I fix it? A picture is shown here
[url]https://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/777829418.html[/url]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Just a guess, as I've never had one that old, but it might need a larger pot now. Do you fertilize it? If so, what do you use?

andreau0101
Newly Registered

repotting

it was split down and repotted appx 2 years ago. This is a small part of what it origionally was, my mother has the rest of it. I don't do anything to it but water it when I think about it. I am going to "dump it" and see what the roots look like. I purchased some 18 in. pots but I will split it again if it needs. Would the pot being small cause the branches to break?

andreau0101
Newly Registered

What I found out

Suggestions were that it was in too small of a pot, that they were too long, (6 feet is apparantly abnormal) or not enough light. Last night I unpotted it and it seemed to be ok in the pot it was in but I went ahead and split it anyways. I seperated it into 2 18 inch pots but only filled it to be appx 12 inches that way I didnt shock it too much. I also tried to stake the bent branches and tied all of the branches up and it looked pretty silly. I contacted the Missouri Bontanical Gardens and they said that in thier opinion if the roots looked good, the only thing they could think of is that it needed to be outside in some indirect light for a little while and if that didnt work to just cut off the spliting branches as the plant couldnt hold the weight any longer.

Return to “Perennials”