minnesota_girl

Honeysuckle vine as ground cover

Hi, I wasn't really sure where to post this but a honeysuckle is a perennial so I posted it here but I am sure there was a better place. I want one but I don't have anything for it to climb. I heard it can be used as a ground cover too, but would it cover too much ground?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

How much ground the honeysuckle will cover will depend in part what type you plant. Japanese honeysuckle is a rampant grower, and needs a lot of space, or it will take over. OTOH, I have a very slow-growing honeysuckle. I'm not positive anymore, but I think it's "wilsonii," or something similar. The flowers are magenta and yellow. It's very pretty, and 6 years later, I'm still waiting for it to reach the top of the arbor it's climbing on! Who knows how long it will take the 2 plants to actually meet in the middle of the top of the arbor! :lol: :lol: :lol:

minnesota_girl

Thanks, Kisal I saw one with variagated leaves and white blooms do you know what this one was, though I probably won't get this one I didn't trust the source. It was from a catalog I had ordered from and didn't like the quality of the products.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just Googled variegated honeysuckle, and the only variety that came up was one called "Harlequin." It's said to be a slow grower and easy to contain, and can even be pruned into a small bush. Sounds like a very attractive plant. :)

minnesota_girl

That does sound great! I'll start asking around, I'll find one eventually.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I have a few clumps of red honeysuckle which tends to be a very managable vine. Also both the flowers and fruit are quite showy and provide color all summer long.

This photo was taken August 2nd on a two year old plant that is about 8 feet tall and is confined to a support and a small shrub.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2723757628_e806962426.jpg[/img]

minnesota_girl

Your honeysuckle looks great. I have heard that honeysuckle can become invasive, but I haven't ever had any trouble with mine. I haven't ever tried to trim one into a flowering shrub, so I really am not sure where to start. The harliquin honeysuckle is supposed to be slow growing and easy to train into a shrub. I think I will give it a shot but I don't know. The only harliquin I found is really small and if it is slowing it will be a while before it's as big as I want it.

Return to “Perennials”