minnesota_girl

Wisteria

I bought one and I know it can take up to 10 years to bloom. What does that mean do you wait ten years every time it blooms or does it bloom every year after it's matured enough? How do help it get there with organic methods? What type of soil does it like? Any info I get would help.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Gone are the days of waiting 10 years! At least in UK, I am sure USA has followed suit?... :roll:
Plants that were seed grown or grown from cuttings could take 10 years or more to flower but if you have bought a plant from a reputable company then it is probably grafted which will ensure it flowers a lot sooner. Once it starts flowering then it will flower every year.
When planting make sure you dig a hole a lot larger than the root ball and fill the hole with lots of compost and aged manure, water in well and keep watering regularly until established.
A regular feed in the spring is beneficial but avoid anything with high nitrogen as wisteria fixes nitrogen in the soil itself. Too much will mean no flowers and too much leafy growth.
The plant will benefit from a nice sunny position but does prefer some shade at the roots.
Proper pruning will ensure the most flowers each year...
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0605/wisteria.asp
Hope that helps! :D

JennyC
Green Thumb

I know you can eat the flower bunches fried fritter-style (that is, if you've bought the same sort that grows wild around here) :)

Good luck with it. Covered over with the things as we are down here, I still love the annual wisteria bloom.

Return to “Perennials”