bestaats
Newly Registered

Divide Bleeding Heart

When is the best time to divide my bleeding heart? I live in Zone 3 and have an 8 year old bleeding heart that is taking over my garden. I'd like to divide it and place a part of it in another section of the yard and maybe gift a piece to a dear friend. Thanks, Bre

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Dicentras aren't the easiest things to divide, the roots are very brittle. I would do it in early spring.

stottlar1

you can divide most perennials anytime but you must water them well for about a week so they establish well. Only thing is it is better in spring and fall when it is cooler . if you do it in the summer you will get more shoot growth then root growth which is what you really one with a transplant or division of a plant you want the roots to really adapt and take well to it's new home. so if it is a neccesity now then go ahead but water well. If not wait till fall/.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It is best you do it in the spring and wear protective clothing because the plant is toxic unless you stake the plant before it goes dormant after flowering or else you won'yt have a clue where it is. I have included a website that will explain.

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com/2008/05/dicentra-spectabilis-bleeding-heart.html

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It is best you do it in the spring and wear protective clothing because the plant is toxic unless you stake the plant before it goes dormant after flowering or else you won'yt have a clue where it is. I have included a website that will explain.

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com/2008/05/dicentra-spectabilis-bleeding-heart.html

Return to “Perennials”