dtownjbrown6262

Looking For A Late-Blooming Lily

I was thumbing threw a magazine & saw a picture of a garden that had orange lillies arranged right in front of purple coneflowers. The bright orange color of the lily really brought out the "hint" of burnt orange in the center of the coneflower. I would like to replicate this in my front yard garden but am not sure which lily blooms around the same time as coneflowers.......Any suggestions?
Im a newbie - please be kind :-)

minnesota_girl

Something of this color? (not that this is a late bloomer just curious if this is the right color)

https://www.bloomingbulb.com/cartProductDetail.asp?ProductKey=1452&bulb=Asiatic%20Lily&flower=First%20Class
Happy Gardening

dtownjbrown6262

Yes, that's the color

minnesota_girl

Hmm... I can't really find anything. I think asiatics would bloom at about the same time as purple coneflower. Maybe a daylily would do, they bloom a little later than asiatics. An orange rebloomer. How about planting orange asiatics and some orange daylilies. Asiatics refuse to rebloom but you might get a daylily to.
Last edited by minnesota_girl on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Gardening

buddy110

https://www.tulipbulbs.com/
(Browse to day lillies and look at frans halls)
These are almost ready to bloom in my garden

ccmac31200

try these

i have alot of lillys try not to use day lillys because they bloom late and only for a short time then they are just foilage. i would try asiatic lillys they bloom around the same time if not a little later than cone flowers they get about 2-8 foot tall but you can't beat the colors to choose from hope this helps
love all gods creations and love plants and trees for they provide the oxygen we all breathe
don't give up keep trying=)

minnesota_girl

I feel betrayed. I love daylilies and foilage isn't that bad. Plant them next to something that blooms when they aren't to ensure color all season. However in the situation yes asiatic lilies are better, i suppose. :roll:

No, I love lilies of all varieties. They are one of my favorites, because they come in every color except black, and blue though some varieties are close and so easy to care for.

But I am getting off subject I suppose.
Last edited by minnesota_girl on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Gardening

cheshirekat

minnesota_girl, I love all lilies too. I've been planting so many different flowers to attract bees and butterflies to pollinate my edibles that I forget just how much I love my lilies. Then my lilies start to bloom and I ache to see them growing everywhere.
"Love all God's creatures, the animals, the plants. Love everything to perceive the divine mystery in all." -Fyodor Dostoyevsky

foxglovelady
Newly Registered

THe ginger lily is a late bloomer. White and really fragrant. Blooms late summer or fall.Very Tall, long green leaves.
charlotte

dtownjbrown6262

Ive actually been looking at daylilies....some of them are REALLY pretty :-)

minnesota_girl

They are. Look at this site they have some pretty ones. Though these guys charge three times as much as the nursery nearby.

https://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/daylilies

I am currently growing stella de oro, nile crane, spacecoast starburst, an orange one that I don't remember the name off, happy returns, little business, and dusty rusty. I have enjoyed all of them.

Return to “Perennials”