paciorl
Newly Registered

Yucca

We have 3 Yuccas in our garden that have not bloomed in the 4 years we've lived in our NE Ohio home. Any suggestions?

applestar
Mod

I'm basically a yucca neophyte but you might check the websites I listed here: [url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8376&highlight=[/url]
My Adam's Needle yuccas that were languishing in heavy shade has been flowering every year, so it's not just light/exposure. I seem to remember in one of those websites that a rosette that has flowered this year will not flower any more and it's the new offshoots that send up the flower spike next year. I was wondering how that could be until I saw that there were 5 or 6 rosetts in a clump in the shade. All very spindly and pale, but valiantly growing. :D

cheshirekat

I have five Adams Needle Yucca that I haven't seen blossom either. I think I planted them four years ago, so I hope this is the year.

eraeark

I actually just read in a magazine (Garden Gate) yesterday that yuccas will only bloom every 3-5 years. They suggest planting one every year so that you will at leat have one that blooms each year.

cheshirekat

Darn. Wish I'd read that article before I planted them. I just thought the photos I've seen of them were so cool that it probably wouldn't have mattered much - I just had to have them pronto. But, if all five of them bloom at the same time, that should be an interesting display.

I planted them also to have some white flowers. I've got pinks, blues, lavenders/purples and yellows. The only other white will be the acidanthera (peacock orchids) annuals and White Swan Echinacea. I was tempted to get white liatris but I'm trying not to overdo them as they spread a bit aggressively and it would get boring.

eraeark

Well, I hope this is the year for your yuccas to bloom! They are so majestic when they are in bloom... It sounds like a nice combination with your other plants as well...your have the same color scheme I do in my front garden. It's great!

cheshirekat

Well, paciorl, it looks like we both will probably have to wait to see our yuccas bloom. I'd been searching the internet looking for an answer off and on because I didn't know what to expect. Now I know so I will just watch and try to be patient.

eraeark, I must compliment you on your color scheme. Did you have a reason for choosing your color scheme? What are some of the flowers you are growing for those colors? Do you have many white flowers?

I'm glad I chose the color scheme I did. I see a lot of red and orange in my neighborhood - although they mostly have tiny flower beds. I thought a different color scheme would make it less boring, plus I love pink. I keep hoping that my yard will some day be so full of color that people will slow down to see it. Some people have stopped by in their cars or while out walking to comment on the amount of work I've put into it and wish they had the time to do the same. If my echinacea and blackeyed susans haven't been choked out by the weeds, it could look pretty next Spring. But for now I just see a lot of green with small patches of color.

eraeark

Your garden sounds beautiful....
A few reasons I chose the color scheme in my front beds....first, our house is dark red brick and I liked the contrasts of the blues/yellows against the house and second, I have a thing for true blue flowers and the purples just fit in nicely witht that.
Let's see, right now I have....azaleas (white flowering and purple/fuschia flowering), daylilies, daylilies, daylilies (yellow - cream to bright yellow), stargazers, miniature iris, a few sky pencil hollies, a dwarf alberta spruce, white phlox, purple and white ballon flowers (my favorites!!!), white peonies, impatiens and hostas in the shady corners, a true blue larkspur, lambs ears, purple rose campions, white columbine and yellow gladiolus. WOW - I think that's it!
So, yes, I do have quite a bit of white. I love the contrast with the dark brick of the house and our bright white trim. I'll have to post some pictures when I finally get around to it. It's a new garden. We moved into our new home a year ago this month. It's been a lot of work, but I love it!
I put in a new bed in the backyard this spring as well.....I do love reds and oranges, so I put those in the back. I can't just limit myself to one color scheme throughout the whole yard so I have little "pockets".
What do you have in your garden?
Thanks for sharing!

eraeark

oh yeah - as I am walking through the garden I forgot about the lavender and the spring bulbs - daffodil, white & dark purple tulips and pink hyacinth! :D

cheshirekat

Wow. eraeark, sounds very nice.

I have tulips, daffodil, purple crocus, yellow and pink twinkles in the Spring. I have yellow Stella D' Oro day lilies, Pink day lilies-I think Stargazer and something else, purple liatris, yellow butterfly bush (teeny tiny - thought it was dead, but it isn't), pink butterfly bush (only a foot tall), pink honeysuckle, blue nigella damascena, pink wiegela, several allium of blues and pinks, bee balm, borage, hyssop, white acidanthera, golden sedum, Adams needle yucca, pink thrift, flame grass, and rosa rugosa.

I planted some oriental poppy seeds, lupine, foxglove, columbine, purple coneflower and black eyed susan seeds this Spring. I'm supposed to have a Giant coneflower too, but I can't remember which of the "CRS" plants is it. Have one lupine, one columbine and one tiny poppy I bought to fill in while waiting for the seeds - just so I remember what is supposed to be growing there. The seedlings on one side are growing, but the places I planted the coneflower and susans got inundated with weeds that I finally pulled this weekend. Didn't look like there were many seedlings when I got through.

This past two weeks I transferred two geranium, feverfew, queen rose sage, cleveland sage, three kinds of speedwell from my herb garden of pots in the backyard to the front yard. I also have garlic around my roses to ward off critters.

Planted lily of the valley several years ago for white but so far only seeing leaves each year. Thought I saw flower buds earlier, but I'm now thinking the critters are eating them. Replacing them with the columbine.

I also have elderberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and a mulberry tree in the front yard. Planted a paw paw tree this Spring but it still looks like a stick. I still need more white although the berries all have white flowers. And I think that is everything I can remember. We got rid of the lawn so I have taken over the whole front yard for my garden.

Our house is also brick, but I talked the hubby into painting the trim in a dusty pink. I don't have flowers in the backyard, except for the herbs, fruits and veggies that do so no color scheme to follow there.

Whew!

eraeark

Nice!
I have always wanted lily of the valley, too. I don't have a good spot for it yet, but have plans to extend my beds into the shadier corners of the yard, so I'm hoping it would do well there. I have lots of plans - sometimes they are quite daunting (and expensive), so I'm trying to pace myself! :)
Keep in touch!

Return to “Perennials”