opp2

weigelas frost bitten?

I have two weigela. I planted two in 2006 and they did really well, then in 2006 in the spring one of the two spouted some leaves, but stopped growning for some reason.

Now this year they both have sprouted some leaves and even have flower buds, but both have scrivelled brown leaves, and not much growth. We've had two frosts here in May.

Are these guys suceptible to frost?

cheshirekat

I planted four Weigela. This year they are covered in very pretty pink blooms. I think it's been a fairly mild spring.

Last year I didn't get a single flower. I don't remember what the Spring temperatures were but I do remember that we had two blizzards and it was months before my front yard stopped looking like a winter wonderland.

The previous year I had nice blooms, though not as good as this year.

One other thing I did differently this year - I fed bone meal and blood meal to my weigela in late April. I think. It may have been mid April.

I haven't had experience enough to give you definitive answers, but I think the weigelas are supposedly hardy. This year will be the first year I prune them, so I'm hoping that works well for me. I read that they can be cut down to the ground but I think I will cut them to about two feet. Then I can try rooting the cuttings.

Return to “Perennials”