snowbunny1934
Newly Registered

Dwarf Lillies

I am having a hard time getting the flowers on my dwarf lillies to stick around. It will bloom insanely for a few weeks and then go dormant for a month or two. I live near the beach so the weather stays cool but they get plenty of sun and water. when they bloom it is a beautiful sight, it just only happens once every few weeks or so. How do I keep a continuous bloom? Also, when the flowers die am I supposed to snip off the little bulb-like pod it leaves behind or do I leave them alone? If anyone can help please do! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Dead-heading those little bulbs will help with the flower issue as well...

There's a little dwarf here at the nursery Lilium priceii that is in full bloom right now; like a full on trumpet flower on a six inch stem...

What are yours?

HG

snowbunny1934
Newly Registered

they are Paola Princess lillies in the yellow-orange color, not the pink ones. They are absolutley beautiful when they decide to flower. The stalks are strong and healthy and the roots look and feel firm and strong, I just can't keep a continuous flower going. Thanks so much for your help.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ah, I was wondering why I hadn't heard of these lilies; they are lilies in (common) name alone. They are botanically Alstroemerias . While that changes nothing I've said so far, they have made invasive lists in Australia and unless you deadhead, they will self seed freely, so yet another reason to keep cutting...

Scott

Return to “Perennials”