Grandpa
Newly Registered

Can You Help Me Identify A Flower With A Description Only?

Hi,

Can you help me identify this with just a description?

I have a potted plant that has purple flowers that have 6 individual petals and a 7 leaf cluster. It is about 2 1/2 feet tall and the leaves are dark green with edges that are not smooth, not serrated, but a little wavy.

I can email photos if you'd like.

Thanks,
Grandpa

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Nope, can't identify it by that description. Being as how I can't post photos here either, please send me a private message with your e-mail address. I will reply to you and then you can send me the photos. Us people who can't post photos have to stick together!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hi Grandpa,

Photos were really really really nice!

Cleome hassleriana (South American Spider Flower)

Ornamentals aren't my forte per se but that was a popular one that was probably just escaping you for the moment. I have lots of plant IDs escaping me lately and I know I know them but for the life of me the names won't pop into my head.

You've probably got a cultivar of the straight species. I looked online and only came up with two possibilities, a 'Purple Queen' and a 'Violet Queen'. I tried to find information on what sets the two cultivars apart from the straight species but came up empty handed. Sorry about that. There are probably more cultivars that have been released by now.

Map of its distribution on North America-
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CLHA
I don't grow this plant but by the looks of the above, it might be an aggressive re-seeder.

Return to “Perennials”