Manda1019
Newly Registered

Need help growing sunflowers

Hello everyone. So for a class I am taking we had to grow a sunflower over the summer, but I am not good with plants. My sunflower(in the picture) currently looks like this and I am not sure what to do. We had a rainy period before, but now it has been in full sunlight for a few days now, and I water it almost every other day. Is it helpless now and just going to die, or can I do something to save it? Thank you I’m advance for your response.
Attachments
0F2FC416-598B-4CA9-9CA2-24AD5325742E.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Unfortunately the base of the stem looks shriveled and dried out — it Might possibly have suffered from damping off fungus.

I think you should try again. But sunflower seeds don’t always sprout in the heat. HOWEVER, it’s not too difficult to germinate fresh seeds since they are eaten as microgreen sprouts.

These people have pretty thorough instructions for growing sunflower seeds. You don’t have to buy seeds from them if you already have seeds. Their seeds are fresh and germinate well, but are intended to be eaten as soaks/sprouts and not for growing to full size plants, so you odn’t Know what they turn out to be like.

Growing Sunflower Sprouts
https://sproutpeople.org/growing-sunflower-sprouts/

(At simplest, you just soak the seeds, then rinse and drain well 3 times a day, keeping the jar in air conditioned comfortable room temperature)

IGNORE ALL THE REST — What you want to do is plant the seeds as soon as the pointy end cracks open and a tiny white root grows out — no More than 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Seeds should be placed in a bottom of a 1 inch deep hole poked with finger or a stick, then gently covered.

When you plant, you would be better off investing in potting soil rather than digging some soil from the garden, but if you are using garden soil, be sure to mix with about 1/4 to 1/3 sand (3 parts soil, 1 part sand) or (2 parts soil, 1 part sand). Keep the pot in sunny location from the start, but don’t let the soil dry out. You may need to water twice a day if extremely hot and sunny. Sunflower needs full sun to grow sturdy stem.

If you like, here’s a thread/post in which I think I described the way I did mine one year — this is basically the way I grow them every year :arrow: Subject: 2014 pre-germinating/sprouting experiment Peas, Corn, Curcs
applestar wrote:Did I mention I'm trying sunflowers and beets now? Started soaking them two nights ago and after full day of rinse and drain, the sunflower seeds have already started to germinate......

Return to “Perennials”