Northerner

Help with Hemerocalis (Daylilies)

I have grown daylilies for several years and found them very hardy and reliable. However, I created a new garden last spring and planted it with about fifteen daylilies. Some of them even bloomed last year, but this year things seemed to be very slow. This garden is in a fairly shaded spot and because of all the rain this year, it is quite damp in the area. I have noticed that some of the plants have a sort of 'rust' travelling up their leaves, and none of the plants which have this 'rust' has sent up a scape. It reminds me of the bug that affects irises, although there is no tuber in this case. Any ideas on how I should treat this? Should I get rid of the infected plants in order to save the others?
Thank you,
Northerner.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It is rust, a fungal disease that affects daylilies (some more than others) and yes you should at least cut off affected leaves; I'd ditch the whole plant to be sure. Look for the All American Daylily display at your garden center; these are trialed daylily selections (trialed all over the country) that are selected for a number of reasons but a primary one is rust resistance. Newer cultivars are generally better...

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

The only way I have been able to get rid of rust in daylilies is to get rid of the whole plant and get a new one - sorry! :cry:
Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Try doing a google search for the British Columbia Daylily Society and email Pam (their president). She is a Daylily officianado and will be able to answer any of your questions regarding Daylilies. (She's really nice too!)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Can beat the rust, but it's hard and requires heavy duty fungicides; personally I just heave the plant myself as it's not an earth-friendly cure...

Northerner

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I never knew that rust was a problem for daylilies. I bought these plants from what I considered to be a reputable Canadian mail-order company so I am hoping I can get a credit. I realized today that I will have to heave at least half of them. What a disappointment.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Even the best guys can get caught with their pants down in a year like this; fungus love humidity and we have nopt been short on it yet this year...

Return to “Perennials”