roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Problem with amaryllis stem

My amaryllis has a problem, it started to grow then it seemed like it just stopped! I water and feed it it does not smell but it is not showing any new growth at all. What should I do?

MoonShadows

As long as you're satisfying all of its requirements for growth, I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure it's getting enough sun, keep the compost moist (not wet) and make sure the temperature of the room it's growing in falls in the mid-60's to mid-70's range. They are tropical bulbs, so they like moist soil, warm temps and plenty of light. The key to growing Amaryllis is really about temperature and light. Plants kept in warmer rooms grow faster.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Does it have a flower stalk or leaves? If you have only a flower stalk then it doesn't need so much water. The leaves come out and seem to set there forever then suddenly another pops up.

I tend to keep my amaryllis way too dry. They set near the electric heater and stuff there dries out really fast. But they do fine and flower beautifully. My Lemon-Lime has 3 flower stalks in bloom now.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

The stem now has bright green near the neck which tells me that it IS growing! Now, another question, I have another one that is growing just one leaf, no kidding just one. No stem is evident and no other leaves. I had it growing leaves but no stem so I cut the leaves and put it back into dormancy, it kept growing the leaf and now it is over 12 inches tall! I don't know what to do about it, I have never had one act this way, so any advice would be helpful. It seems like it wants to grow, but alas no stem.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Light and fertilizer. Let it grow. They don't always send up a flower stalk before leaves. Try to be a bit sparing with the water.

When you put the bulbs into dormancy did you put them in a cool dark location? They do try to keep growing if they stay warm and in a well lit area. Also, if you want them to go dormant you need to let the soil dry out. I usually dump the bulbs out of the pots and shake the soil off the roots. I have so many the only way I can store them for the winter is in cardboard boxes in the basement.

Return to “Perennials”