JennieWren
Newly Registered

Ground cover

I have seen on Pinterest ground cover plants that grow just like a lawn. I have a small patch of about 8ft square. It is in full sun all day. I am thinking of using as a children's corner with a picnic table and a chalkboard etc. The article suggests rock cress is a good choice. I see it also comes in many colours and releases a lovely scent.

Does anybody have any experience of this kind of thing and any suggestions of alternative plants I could use? Any help would be appreciated.

G

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We can't suggest plants without knowing where you are. What grows well in Maine won't survive in Texas and vice versa (not to mention Manitoba and New Zealand).

JennieWren
Newly Registered

Hi. I live in the uk. The soil is mainly clay. The piece of land I want to use was once a low mound rockery. The new ground cover plant would need to survive children and animals.

JennieWren
Newly Registered

This is a photo I took this morning about 9.30 am. It would be the second regeneration of this bit of land. It was originally a shed that had been taken down leaving a patch of rubble. I paid a landscaper to build me a rockery and include a water feature I had created (a lady statue inside a half barrel). It looked great. Unfortunately it was hidden from the house by a row of conifers. The flowers too are dying off mainly I think due to the dogs trying to get at the water feature.

I am keeping the water feature and the rocks and moving them to a more prominent position in the garden. More of that in a different post.

I thought I would cut the conifers down to about 3 feet. I would then take some lawn edging roll (I guess it has a proper name) around the outside of the plot. I could then level off the land at the height of the edging. This is when I would plant my false lawn. I would also at the same time decorate the side of the shed with flowers buckets and a large chalkboard. Last I would place a pub style bench, approx 4 ft square in the middle of the lawn.

This my plan. I won't be doing it for a while, possibly winter or next spring. In the mean time. help or advice would be appreciated .

G
Attachments
Before
Before

Return to “Perennials”