Marshalm

Agastache blue fortune taller than supposed to be... Why?

I bought 4 blue fortune last summer, the label and everything I have read said they grow to 24 to 36 inches. This year they all came up but they are 5 feet tall with much smaller flower spikes. Has anyone had this happen or know why . Thank you!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Did you fertilize them?

Marshalm

No, I didn't do anything at all to them.

applestar
Mod

Do they look the same as last year except for the height and size of flowers? Could the agastache have died off and something else grew in their place? ...post a picture if you want us to take a look.

Marshalm

They look the same and I also had them labeled so they are definitely them. I could see a few inches or even a foot off but 2 feet taller is a lot. I am 5 2 and they are as tall as me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Really, post a couple pictures! I have grown agastache for years and never saw it do anything like that. Just because it is growing where your agastache was, doesn't mean some weed couldn't have replaced it. Soil is full of weed seeds, air is full of weed seeds, birds transport them, attached to their feet or in their poop....

Marshalm

Definitely them, I bought 4 and 4 came back
Attachments
20170616_194504-1.jpg

Marshalm

Closer picture
Attachments
Here is a closer pictur
Here is a closer pictur

Marshalm

Another close up of flower
Attachments
20170617_083207-1.jpg

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I want to move into your garden, right behind the overly large agastache and under the tree. You'll barely know I'm there.

This is odd, their leap in stature. I've no clue why that's happening.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK you're right! Is it shady where they are? Sometimes plants that are not getting as much sun as they like stretch up tall to try to find it.
I have some exceptionally tall broccoli plants in my garden because of that

webmaster
Site Admin

I was thinking along the same path as Rainbowgardener. Some plants and trees will reach and stretch to obtain more sunlight.

This plant likes full sun so it's probably trying to obtain its fair share of sun.

Marshalm

They are in sun all day until about 3:00. I don't understand why the flowers are so small compared to when I bought it also. I asked the peaple at garden center and all they could come up with is "well, they are living things and sometimes you can't always be sure on there growth and the labels are for the whole country"

applestar
Mod

OK Here are a couple of "out there" thoughts and ideas since folks with more experience with this plant have proposed and explored the reasonable ones:

1) maybe this is one of those plants that benefit from pruning early on -- like mums -- to keep them shorter and more compact
2) at the time you bought them, they had been grown in containers all their lives and were only a young specimen
3) or maybe different conditions like kept very dry or allowed to dry out and stressed
3) maybe they selectively thinned so that the flower spikes would be bigger
4) maybe they fed it blooming hormones and bloom boosters

...I also want to go back to ButterflyLady's question, because my first thought was too much nitrogen
-- considering how lush your flower bed is -- looks very very lovely BTW -- there's some kind of nutrient source in there. Manure? Bagged Garden Soil that already contains fertilizer though you didn't know it?

Marshalm

Thanks for the ideas! I don't think there is anything in the soul, when we moved in it was just an empty grass lawn and I have never added anything to soil. Have you or anyone else had experience in moving blue fortune and swamp milkweed? I'd like to switch them since the Agastache is taller.

Return to “Perennials”