BrokenThumb
Newly Registered

Oriental Lilies leaves turned yellow. Is that normal?

I bought Oriental Lilies 'Stargazers' and it was suggested to me to put them in the sun for 8 hours then bring them back inside. I did that and the lilies turned brown and fell off and the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. Soil is wet and indoors near a window with only morning sun currently.

Any advice to start the flowers growing again.

Thanks

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi! Can you post some pictures of your plant? Pot size?

Were they watered before you put them out?

You really have to slowly "temper" indoor plants to outdoor conditions. Especially if it's particularly hot, windy, or intensely sunny.

Post some pictures, and we can guide you better. :()

applestar
Mod

8 hours in direct sun if not used to it -- sun burn city -- yeah what were they thinking?

'Soil is wet" is concerning me, too. At this point, if ALL of the current blooms of the lilies have finished and dropped, you will be in maintenance mode since lilies only flower once in the season. If it has more flowerbuds, then keeping it happy will help it to grow those flowerbuds and finish blooming. Otherwise, you will need to help keep the leaves and the plant growing to feed the bulb with energy for it to grow next year and bloom.

If you have a garden, easiest thing to do is to plant in appropriate location and let it o its thing. Otherwise, I think those potted oriental lilies are more intended as gift flowers that are often discarded after blooming.... Is this one a dwarf/short variety that can be kept in a container?

BrokenThumb
Newly Registered

Yes, I will post pictures tomorrow.

BrokenThumb
Newly Registered

I have been gone for a few days. Here is the picture.
Attachments
Plant.jpg

applestar
Mod

Ooh! You need to remove that pretty pot cover foil. Those are usually decorative water-proof wrapper for gift-giving and keeping surfaces clean, but HOLDS water and the roots and in this case the bulb could be drowning.

BrokenThumb
Newly Registered

Oops, I did not know that. The foil wrapper is now off and all the leaves have fallen off and the stems are turning brown.
I found some roots out of the bottom so I turned the pot over and I was able to wiggle the soil out of the pot and it's completely full of roots and soil is moist.

Dose this need a transplant?
Attachments
Lily.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Yep! It does. It'll likely go dormant for the rest of the year. If you plant it in a nice spot outside, it should come back next year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Before you re-plant it, you have to loosen up all those roots. You can gently pull on them and untangle them or if they are too hard to do that way you can score them with a knife and then pull loose. If you plant it the way it is, the roots will keep going around in circles and strangle/ smother the plant.

Maybe you knew that, in which case I'm sorry. In case you didn't, I just saved your plant's life. :)

Return to “Perennials”