Husk24

Why have my hydrangea leaves gone purple/died? Pic inside

Hi guys

I have three hydrangea plants alongside other flower plants, few weeks back I noticed the leaves on them were all wet mushy and gone all purple and now they seem to be dying. Anybody know what could be the cause? I think there could be possible two reasons, one night the temp was down to 0 degrees so maybe due to frost? but few doors away one of my neighbors hydrangeas are doing fine although they are alot bigger than mins, I only planted mine last summer. The other reason could be I used seaweed fertiliser on all of the flower plants including these. Any ideas?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_8167.JPG

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi Husk! Frost can definitely cause that type of damage! Location can make or break frost damage. Even the tiniest bit of overhang from another plant can be protective of frost. 0° F here is a freeze, not a frost, and that could definitely do some damage, likely more that what you see there though.

I have a few refining questions. Be very specific when you answer.

Are these planted in full sun?

What are the watering habits for your plants?

Why have you cut it back so severely?

Hydrangeas (in my experience) really don't like full sun. Mine is in a fairly shaded area in my front hard, and in the heat of the day, it gets all princess-ey and droops.

Hydrangeas usually bloom on old growth, so if you want blooms, you shouldn't prune it like that. They do lose their leaves in the winters here in SC, but they don't usually have a lot of dieback. (Although, I lost a very sentimental hydrangea a few years back because of an exceptionally harsh winter...)

Some hydrangeas just have purple leaves like that, but here it's usually an indication that that it's not got the right growing conditions.

Husk24

Hi Lindsay

I planted these plants last year, there were instructions to prune them during winter which I did. They are planted in a shaded area. My watering habits - well living in the north of UK, its not exactly warm yet and I have literally been watering them once a week when its been dry and probably once a fortnight when wet.

Thnks

Husk24

Should I pick the leaves off ?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I would take the worst of them off. Let your hydrangea grow next spring without pruning. You should only be taking off limbs that have no new growth when the rest of the plant is clearly growing. Sometimes you have to be patient! :) unless you have a "Neverending" cultivar that blooms on new growth, I wouldn't expect blooms this year. I would keep it well fed this season, it's got a lot of growing to do!

I'll bet you've just got some freeze damage there. It's gonna grow out of it. If you continue to have issues when your temps rise, post more pictures! We love helping! :()

Lindsay

Husk24

Thanks Lindsey

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Welcome! :()

Return to “Perennials”