buckmeadows
Newly Registered

What's in this picture?

Can someone help me identify this plant at a house I purchased last summer? It died back in the fall and I cut it off about 6 inches above ground level thinking it would grow back around this time. As I was mulching the other day, the portion I left just seemed to be rotten and pulled right off the ground. What's left is basically the roots. What is this? Will it come back from the roots? What could I have done this past fall to save it or is it just an annual flower? Thanks for any help.
Attachments
Plant ID.jpg

applestar
Mod

It looks like celosia. Where I live, with frosts and freezes, this would be grown as an annual.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always thought celosia was just an annual, but I looked and of course you are right, applestar! :) It is a tropical, a tender perennial. But if you live anywhere with freezes in winter, it is dead. Most people in cold winter areas just treat it like an annual and start with new plants each spring. You can find them as bedding plants in the big box stores for very cheap. If you wanted to save it, (this time, after you plant more) you could try digging it up in fall, potting it up, and bringing it indoors for the winter. I've never tried it, so I don't know how well they do indoors for the winter.

Return to “Perennials”