Seananers

my new lucky bamboo - How to Care for it?

hello to all you beautiful people out there. My best friend ryan brought me over a lucky bamboo plant as a gift but I have a bit of a problem... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THIS THING! so am asking for any advise on the care of this little guy. I really like it and I don't want it to die so any help would be very much appreciated

imafan26
Mod

Change the water every couple of days and don't let it dry out. It can some good light like a flourescent above it. You can grow it near a window but you will have to keep turning it. It is in fact, how the coiled lucky bamboo, really a dracena, is trained to curl.

Seananers

Should I repot it into a bigger pot because the pot it came with is only like 4 inches tall and 3 inches wide.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It can stay in the little pot for a long time.

I had one that I kept in the little pot until it was so tall and huge it was too top heavy.

I had it in my bathroom with no light except what came in the frosted bathroom window and I never did anything for it except keep the water changed (no fertilizer, etc). It thrived!

When it had outgrown the the bathroom space, I tried to bring it outdoors and promptly killed it. It just curled up and died when direct sun hit it.

imafan26
Mod

It needs to be trained to the sun, otherwise it is an understory plant for a shady spot. Mine outgrew the pot too and I have it next to my orchid bench outside. It is about 2 ft tall.

Seananers

so in reality there isn't much care you need to provide besides watering and provide some indirect sunlight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

right, very easy!

Seananers

rainbowgardener wrote:right, very easy!

if I would have known that it was that easy to take care of bamboo I would have gotten myself one already :lol: :mrgreen:

Return to “Perennials”