evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Annual and Perrennial Dahlias

I bought a few dahlia tubers recently and they are all growing nicely. It's quite exciting because I've never had space for such plants before.

Then in the shops the other day I saw dahlia seeds. The flowers look similar in form to the tubers but they are an "annual variety". I planted them but I was wondering if they are the same plant or not?Will I end up with tubers I can split or will they actually just die next winter?

Sea Salt37
Newly Registered

Green Thumb,

All dahlias are considered annuals unless you live in a region where the soil doesn't freeze. These plants originated in the high plateaus of Mexico and don't survive freezing conditions.

The seed grown dahlia varieties will develop a cluster of tubers during the growing season much like tuber grown plants. If you dig both up at the end of the season they'll look very similar. And tubers from either can be saved for the following growing season.

I've grown dahlias both ways. Its actually pretty amazing to see how much biomass the little seeds can create in a single growing season - big bushy plants above ground and a mass of potato-like tubers underground.

SS37

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

That's cool. Unfortunately none of the seeds came up. I will try them again but more carefully next time.

stems
Newly Registered

I have grown Dahlias from seeds for several years, they are big seeds so it is very easy to do. What a great show of various colors. I have left the tubers in the ground as I am in zone 8 but to be sure I have flowers I always sow seeds as well.

Return to “Perennials”