roseycheeks
Green Thumb

unknown seeds

101_2616unknown seeds.jpg
My neighbor gave some flower heads that has little black seeds in them, so I planted a few and they are up. Can someone tell me what these are and how to take care of them?

applestar
Mod

Looks like celosia cockscomb. Can't help with what to do tho.

imafan26
Mod

Yes, they are cockscomb. I saw them at Home Depot this year. It is a summer annual. You can dry the head and then shake out the fine seeds to store them. 4-6 weeks before your last frost date you can plant them. Mixing very small seeds with a little fine sand helps to sow them more evenly. And the sand is the cover.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I took a few, just a few! And planted them in a container that my hubby had screws in, I used a seed starter mix and they have popped up at least 7 already, I opened the container and have been keeping them moist with a spray bottle.

applestar
Mod

So you've "germination tested" them and found them to be viable :wink: Dry and save the rest of the seeds like imafan said, then you can grow them in the same way in spring to plant out for the summer.

As far as I know, these are annuals and they are extremely heat and drought tolerant so they tend to be planted in FULL sun. I don't think you'll be able to grow them indoors now with fall already here and frost coming....

Return to “Perennials”