Kchamberlain
Newly Registered

Possibly dead Bleeding Heart plant

Hi everyone I am very new to gardening. In early spring I bought a bleeding heart plant from Home Depot since it was ending its season and on clearance. I figured it would be an investment for next year. I know they die back each summer and come back in the spring however I'm not sure if mine is dormant or just flat out dead. It's stems all look like hollow straw and I have included an attachment (it's currently in a new pot because I have to move, when I bought it I planted it in the ground but our landlord has to sell our home so I'm taking it with me assuming it's still alive). It has looked like this for just under a month.

If it is not dead how can I take care of it during dormancy so it survives living in a pot until I can replant in when we move and during what season should I replant it? (I live in zone 5)
Attachments
image.jpeg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

How did the roots look when you dug it up? If the roots are still alive the plant is still alive.

If the pot drains well you can dig a small hole at your new place and set the pot in the hole. Just make sure the new spot is partly shady and drains well.

Kchamberlain
Newly Registered

The roots seemed to be alive, they clung to the dirt super hard (I tried to be gentle pulling it up). The roots were very strong and from what I could tell however since I'm so new to this I'm not sure if they were still alive but I'm guessing yes since they were so strong.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If they were dead they would have been all mushy or simply gone.

Since it is dormant you can replant it any time up until your ground freezes. You will have to watch for heaving, that is where the freeze/thaw cycle forces the plant out of the surrounding soil. It only happens the first spring a new plant is in the ground. By the second winter the new roots will hold the plant in place.

Return to “Perennials”