Jai_Ganesha

freesia feedback

A few weeks ago I ordered some freesia bulbs from an online seller and planted them in potting soil that had been modified with peat, loam, and sand to make it very fast-draining. The bulbs have sat outside for about 6 weeks now and I've made sure that they did not dry out or get too wet.

However, there is no growth at all. I carefully dug up one of the bulbs and it is still round and healthy-looking. There's no softness, no mold, no shriveling at all--but also no growth.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm not sure what the problem could be. If they weren't going to grow, wouldn't they at least start to decompose? At what point should I give up?

applestar
Mod

What kind of on line seller did you get them from? Did they send any instructions?

I haven't grown freesias because they are not winter hardy outside here, but I had the impression they are fall or spring planted bulbs depending on where you live, and summer may actually be their dormant season? (Which may be why it's a good time to dig them up) Maybe they don't grow until cooler?

Sorry, maybe other members with more experience will have a better answer.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree. For all us cold winter folks, freesia are planted in early spring. In the south, they are planted in the fall to overwinter.

Now is not a good time to be planting much of anything....

Return to “Perennials”