Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Barefaced Iris (No beard :))

A friend gave us some iris bulbs, which we've never grown before. One of theplants has no "beard"on its flowers. Is this unusual and can we produce more of the same? We rather like it.
Attachments
Iris.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know if you got the wrong picture, but the irises in your picture are quite clearly "bearded" in white with yellow tips.

Bearded iris:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I agree! I still see beards.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

You're (both) absolutely right - sorry and thank you. I guess I distracted myself with the contrast between the subtler one and its neighbours. They look like this:
Attachments
Iris2.JPG

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They are both beautiful!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If what you want is beard-less irises, there are such.
Beardless Irises

Beardless Irises are mostly native to Asia. The first four types are commonly grown in gardens, and they all bloom after the TBs, extending the iris season even longer. The fifth type, the Pacific Coast Native, blooms before the TBs and is native to the western regions of the United States.

1. Spurias (SPU) are tall (2 to 5 feet in height) and elegant, and have very attractive foliage. The shape of the bloom often suggests orchids and the colors range from white and yellow through blue, wine and brown, often with bright yellow signals.

2. Siberians (SIB) perform best with cooler conditions, regular moisture and a slightly acid soil. The blooms can be blue, purple, red-violet or yellow with newer cultivars in brown and orange shades, and can have a variety of forms from upright to flat and round. They are most attractive in established clumps that develop a bouquet effect and grow to a height of 2 to 4 feet., although some dwarf varieties are also available. Their grass-like foliage after bloom is one of their attractive garden features. They tend to bloom slightly later than the TBs.

3. Japanese (JI) require a slightly acid soil and present some of the most spectacular flowers of all the irises. Blooms are usually huge, ruffled and flat in form; some are marbled with gray or white. They bloom about a month after the TBs. Japanese hybridizers have worked with them for over 500 years.

4. Louisianas (LA) are native to the American Gulf Coast; they require soil that is somewhat acid and wet in the spring. The blooms are usually very wide petaled and open, showing brightly colored style-arms and sharp signal-crests.

5. Pacific Coast Natives (PCN), or Californicae (CA), are not widely grown as they are intolerant of the climatic conditions of all but the far western area of the country. Where they can become established, they grow most attractively with graceful and dainty flowers held one to two feet high, in most colors and patterns.

6. Species often enhance gardens with their delicate beauty. I. confusa (Evansia) requires conditions similar to azaleas in a frost free climate. I. missouriensis enjoys wet springs and dry summers.
from the American Iris Society https://www.irises.org/About_Irises/Classifications.html

The beardless iris are usually more delicate, less substantial than the bearded, but the spurias, for example, come in a big range of gorgeous colors and color combinations. Spuria iris:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks for that, rainbow. Bearded or not? I guess I don't care, just prefer the less flamboyant of the two that I have. In fact I'm not really a flower-grower at all; more into my veggies. But I do have a back-of-mind idea that one of these days I'll create an all-blue mostly-perennial garden. It would be centred round an (already established) dwarf weeping red laceleaf maple. I may start a thread about what to put in it, but I'm not ready yet.

Blue is a kind of elastic concept among people. For many years I used the term "blue" for what is more properly called cyan, and what is technically blue I thought of as "kinda purple." Only after getting seriously interested in colour photography did I learn the distinction. (A degree of mild gender-related colour blindness can complicate things further and lead to arguments.:)) The reason I'm rambling on about it here is just to say I wouldn't be pedantic or purist in my choices; all varieties of blue-ness could be included in my imagined garden. I can see it now.......

Return to “Perennials”