roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Iris colors - Used to be copper & purple now mostly purple?

For the past few years the Irises in my bed have been partly purple and partly copper, this year however, they seem to be more purple than copper! It is a mystery to me, will post pics when the weather is a little warmer.

Asica

I believe that irise's main color is purple the rest is a hybrid. My mom had all kinds of different colors, yellow, purple, white, andvlight pink. One year they all turn to purple.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Went to the flea market this weekend and there was a lady selling plants, I was not going to get any but she gave 2 small pots of mini purple Irises! I know they probably won't bloom this year but maybe the next!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the purple iris are hardier. So they come back when the other ones don't make it and gradually take over.

applestar
Mod

Haha DH and I were just talking about that. He said we used to have both blue AND yellow bearded irisis in our mailbox bed, but now we only have yellow. My theory for ours is that the sunny mailbox area COMPLETELY dries out in drought, but the yellow one was able to withstand the drought better.

Yellow one is in full bloom right now and smells wonderful! I think I ONLY want fragrant ones if I decide to plant more in the future.

I have Iris cristata in a dry shade bed in the back yard. When it was dormant, DH drove the mower into the bed and -- I thought -- obliterated the little patch. Fast forward two years, and the patch of the early spring-blooming little blue/purple crested irises is nearly three times as big. :lol:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

roseycheeks wrote:Went to the flea market this weekend and there was a lady selling plants, I was not going to get any but she gave 2 small pots of mini purple Irises! I know they probably won't bloom this year but maybe the next!

Oooooo! I love the minis!!! My grandmother had a patch around our huge oak tree. I never remembered them ever blooming. My whole life, ever! I didn't even know what color they would be! I moved them 6 years ago to a slightly sunnier location, and they bloomed the following year sparsely! Save some of the seeds from the fruits, and 4 years later, I have a nice big patch of them! Pale purple with yellow beards. They aren't the luck large ones, but smaller with several blooms per stalk.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Can any of you please respond to my post about beardless occurences?
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... ed#p387045

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

https://willtaft.com/do-iris-flowers-change-color/

Here is a neat article about color dominance in mixed beds!

Return to “Perennials”