shiava
Newly Registered

Help with gardenia

Hey all

I've been growing a potted gardenia since last year. It was hard at first (came pretty ill from the shop), but after we hit summer everything went great. Thing is, we started autumn now (living on southern emisphere, pretty cold now) and my gardenia has been doing not-so-good.
I noticed the leaves turning pale, but since we had a serious rain problem in our zone, I thought it was just overwatering and with some added iron it was gona be good.
I had to make a trip and left my plant in charge of my parents for some days, and wen I came back I found this

Some leaves had fallen already. and the ones that are still green are slowly geting paler

Could this be cold damage? Lacking any nutrient?
Whatever advice you could give I'd appreciate it

gogreenhelene
Newly Registered

Appears to be too much water. I had found that watering every other day moderately and one day heavy. I only use spring water, or distilled, I have it in a pot with at least three inches of pea gravel for drainage and humidity. I also do not move it too much from its' original location, I simply give it turns, and rotate it. I also give it "food" when it is not budding.

Mr_bobo_

The soil in which the gardenia planted would be ideal acidic with a pH of 4.5 to 5.5.
The ideal daytime temperature is 22 to 25C, a nightmare about 15C.
The soil should always be moderately moist neither too wet nor dry. The tray should not retain water. Best that flowerpot standing on stones that are in the water so that pots do not touch the water, but it is located directly above it. From April to November once a month need supplemental feeding the plant. Fertilization for azaleas or rododendrons , will be appropriate for the gardenia. I would add that she like iron. Old branches should be shortened to flowering was more often. Gardenias need high humidity, you can achieve this by next plants put the jar with water. You can also spray it above with water. Gardenia always be watered from above, never from the tray. She like lot of light, but not direct ones.

I hope I help with some tips...

Return to “Perennials”