roseycheeks
Green Thumb

When is a Good Time to Plant Gladiolus?

My hubby got me 6 bulbs and I was wondering when it would be a good time to plant them, I was going to today but thought it was too cold. They are called Sugar Plum Mixture, are they tall or short flowers and what do they attract? I need to know before I plant them too close to the door, we are allergic to bees.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Re: Gladiolus

Tallish flower stalks, 2 to 4 feet. Many times they flop over and might need to be supported. Tomato cages work well. I've never seen bees in them but hummingbirds love them.

And they aren't really perennial. Some years they survive Ohio winters, some years they don't.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

They are in a pot with chicken wire around them to keep the critters out, I can tie them to it

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Planting them anytime in the spring is fine. I agree, they may need to be supported by something.
Zone 8b, Canada

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Here is a couple of my Glads coming up! I was anxious because of the weather, but it looks like I am going to have at least two.
101_2262.JPG
101_2263.JPG

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

As of now 6 of the glads have sprouted, will take pics this weekendl

imafan26
Mod

when the flowers bloom they will need to be staked or they lean over. Glads are perennial in frost free zones and corms do not need to be lifted. The cormels that form take about two years before they bloom. In zones that do freeze you may have to store the corms.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Give them time, it's still pretty chilly. They'll come up and be beautiful.

Mine are still setting in a box in the basement. Soil is too cold and wet to work in it. I may end up planting mine in pots again.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

5 of the 6 have come up and they are wasting no time in growing! Will post pics later, I didn't get to take photos yesterday, so will probably today.

Return to “Perennials”