thumbgardener
Newly Registered

Need suggestions for low maintenance perennials

This fall I completed the Michigan Master Gardener program and as my volunteer project, I have started a perennial garden at the city fitness path. This fall I planted iris, sedum, purple coneflowers, ajuga, and black eyed susans. Any other ideas of low maintenance plants that can withstand the activities of a public park?

opp2

thumbgardener wrote:This fall I completed the Michigan Master Gardener program and as my volunteer project, I have started a perennial garden at the city fitness path. This fall I planted iris, sedum, purple coneflowers, ajuga, and black eyed susans. Any other ideas of low maintenance plants that can withstand the activities of a public park?
By activities do you mean like....cycling over leaves, treading over them, or footballs landing in them...or

low maintenance as in can survive not being watered every week etc?

Grey
Greener Thumb

For hardiness, I tend to choose wildflower types. Verbena (the homestead purple, and then the tall sage variety) does a great job of blooming all season and then some, and stays green (at least here) all winter. I also like batchelor's buttons... and while some call it a weed, Queen Anne's Lace is still a wonderful, tall, hardy plant.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Kanickanick is a low maintenance ground cover that is meant to just weedeat over. I always get down and get dirty pulling the weeds out though. Juniper is relatively low maintenace but, rather painful to "play in."

Rhodos are another low maintenance shrub and are very long lived. Depending on the variety you buy, they can get huge or stay small.

Grey
Greener Thumb

A groundcover replacement for lawn I am considering is Creeping Thyme. It is pretty durable, as evidenced by foot traffic and a certain neighbor's digging dog that got loose. Plus, it smells great when you walk on it!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That is a great idea! Creeping Thyme... I'll keep that in mind for the future. (Not to mention the fact that you would be able to go out and cut some thyme for the soup or stew at any time (or thyme... pun). )

NewjerseyTea

I saw where you were suggesting thyme lawns. When I was researching what to put in the pathway of my small herb garden I came across a suggestion for oregano lawns. www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/oraganolawn.htm
What do you think? I know oregano can really spread. Do you think it would be invasive as a lawn?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Which Thyme?
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=THYMU
I don't know that any of them would be invasive per se but quite a few of them have the potential to become a problem child for you and your neigbhors. The most popular has the common name of Creeping Thyme and it creeps, that's for sure.

Here's one that is frequently overlooked as a lawn substitute for the Northeast- Bouteloua dactyloides
This is the grass I've been going with. Low growing, little need for water once established, plays nice with other plants, and only has to be mowed a couple times a year or can be left un-mowed for a soft natural look as it only grows to about 8-10".

bewildered_nmsu

Does Bouteloua dactyloides turn brown during the winter months? I looked this grass up in Wikipedia and I like the look of it. I've been looking for a grass that stays green all year to effectively replace my bermudagrass (which is incredibly tenacious).

NewjerseyTea

Lorax,
I couldn't find Bouteloua dactyloides in my new "Native Ferns Moss & Grasses" book by William Cullina. I did find Buchloe dactyloides (Buffalo Grass).Is this the same grass just renamed?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

By me, B. dactyloides goes brown with the first few frosts. I've never been a fan of Cynodon spp. for the US and even less of a fan of C. dactylon or C. dactylon x transvaalensis which would be what most people seem to plant so it's really great you're thinking of doing away with it. The problem I have is that I haven't a clue how the Buffalo Grass will fair where your home is. Has anyone else used it in your subdivision? It would be considerably less of a water hog than what you and me currently have. Can you call a local extension office and ask them what they think? If you go this route, maybe best not to order your seed online as most seems to come from my region. There are actually northern and southern races of this plant and you wouldn't want seed from my area. It's native to NM so you've probably got a source somewhere local and don't know it. The local genotype would perform much better for you than a genotype from the Midwest.

One thing I've been doing around here to reduce my existing turf is to smother it. It cooks well and dies peacefully by being solarized or smothered if I leave the tarps and throw away carpets in place long enough. Isn't the prettiest sight but it's effective. Once I clear an area, I can re-plant with the B. dactyloides. Problem is I've got so much to kill because the builder was sod happy that I can only do a little bit each year. I'd like to have all of my existing lawn gone. My husband spends an inordinate amount of time on a riding lawn mower every weekend and then he has to come back with a push mower and a weed wacker and I bet he spends at least 2-3 hours a week which is time I'd like to reclaim for him. We have to start cutting the turf sometimes by the end of April but definitely by May and he cuts it pretty much weekly through to October but frequently into November. We used to water it weekly to keep it looking pristine but stopped that waste of water because we're all on wells around here plus there was the time element of setting up sprinklers. Now it's brown throughout summer and we don't care as we know we're replacing it. Turf is very labor intensive and costly with gas prices as they are lately. I want ours all gone as of yesterday but that's a pipe dream. Forgot to mention most who have Buffalo Grass around here only cut it once or twice a season if that. Many are simply leaving it attain its natural height and its never watered once it is established. It's going to work for us but I don't know that it will work for you. Would love to know what you learn about it.

Prairie

LAMIUM (deadnettle) This is an awesome groundcover that my daycare kids trounce over daily! There are annual and perennial types of lamium. Mine have silver/green leaves with pink blooms. We had a cold, cold winter...and there's still green showing even though it isn't evergreen.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Lamium is kinda weedy, might not be a good choice for a park where there will be lots of people running around which would spread the plant further-
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LAMIU

Sorry NJT, must have started typing then walked away before posting and missed your question. William Cullina is real sharp and that book might have hit the press before the name was changed. Taxonomists and dna! They keep us hopping don't they! Buchloe dactyloides is synonymous with Bouteloua dactyloides. Took me a while to get used to Bouteloua because it's not as easy to type as Buchloe.

JPlovesflowers

Probably too late for this forum, but I think you would really do well with Stella d'oro daylilies. I'm not sure how you can hurt them and they bloom profusely throughout the summer. There are also several new varieties that rebloom all summer that you can find with a little research through bulb catalogs. Sounds like a fun project, congratulations on your master gardener program! :D

Return to “Perennials”