rockc1402
Newly Registered

Evergreen clematis and bees

Hello. I have a fence around my backyard and unfortunately my neighbor behind me likes to carelessly toss her kid's old toys, garden chairs, etc. onto her hillside where they are in plain view from my backyard. I am thinking of planting a climbing plant that will grow up along the chain link fence and shield the unfortunate view. I would prefer something evergreen. Flowers are not a must but would be nice if they don't attract too many bees. My dog is allergic to bees and my back yard really belongs to the dogs. I do not want something like an ivy that I will have to fight forever and regret planting.

I have come across Evergreen Clematis and might be sold on them. However, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how they are with attracting bees. I do realize that flowers attract bees, but I'm trying to get a sense for how bad it is. Some bees would be fine but I don't want them in swarms like they are with my azaleas along the side of my house in the Spring. Thanks!

Zone 6, full sun.

dowens
Newly Registered

I planted evergreen Clematis in my garden and so far I am happy with it. It winters well and it doesn’t attract bugs and bees. But I am no professional and I only can say things from my experience. It’s been in my garden for 3 years now and I am really happy with it.

KeyWee

How about Carolina jessamine. It grows fast, is evergreen, and only has small yellow flowers in very early spring. I have never noticed a lot of bees in mine, and it's right outside my side entrance door.

applestar
Mod

Where are you located? You mentioned zone 6 -- it seems like C. Armandii is listed for zone 7 and above -- that probably means it won't be evergreen in your area and definitely won't bloom in winter. My other concern is that it's a native plant from China -- which means there is potential for invasive growth and will displace North American native plants.

What is the growing condition along your fence? Sun exposure? moisture levels? Will you need to water?

rockc1402
Newly Registered

Thanks for your responses. dowens, thank you for your personal experience with Clematis. That was very helpful. KeyWee, I checked out that Carolina Jessamine. Wow, that is also a beautiful plant! Unfortunately, it looks like it is only hardy to zone 7 and I am in 6. Applestar, Clematis Armandii is only one variety of Clematis and is not one I am looking at because it is not hardy in my zone. There are several others that are evergreen in my zone so I would certainly be choosing one of those. They would be planted in my own yard where there is nothing else growing so I am not concerned about them taking over any native plants. Thanks for your input. Those are all good points to consider. The growing conditions are full sun and good moist soil because there is a hill that drains down to this part of my yard so even with full sun, moisture in the soil is not much of a problem. If I need to water it some that is also not a problem as I grow a lot in my back yard and water the other plants already. Thanks again for all your time and responses! I very much appreciate them!

applestar
Mod

So WHICH variety are you looking at? I unfortunately have Sweet Autumn clematis which I bought from a well known mail order before I learned about native vs. non-native plants. This thing will remain green sometimes -- it did this winter -- and when it does, can become a monster vine the following year.

I no longer make the mistake of letting it grow on from last year's growth after it nearly swallowed one corner of our two story house by climbing up the rainspout all the way to the roof! (That one was deemed too potentially damaging and was hacked down every year until it died :twisted: ) In spring, just as new growths start, I cut the vines down to about knee high -- the original vine had managed to spread to three completely separate locations on my property -- presumably from the fluffy seeds or possibly birds transporting the pruned cuttings. I have been eliminating all subsequent volunteers. :x

Clematis tends to prefer somewhat shady roots and part shade conditions. So the one in a sunny corner of our 5 ft picket fence only manages to cover that corner post and a little way -- a couple of feet -- along both directions. Another one in another corner gets cut down all season long to prevent it from climbing a nearby sweet cherry espalier.

As the name suggests, this variety has sweetly fragrant, small white flowers and becomes a center of buzzing and fluttering bee, wasp, and butterfly activity when in bloom, which I happen to enjoy. :D The flowers cover the top of the vines but we have never had any problems or heard complaints from the neighbors.

Return to “Perennials”