roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Sugar Plum Gladiolus

My hubby got me 6 gladiolus bulbs, I have never grown them before so any hints or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Usually they do great in a regular garden. Just make sure you mark the location and dig them up in the fall and store indoors in a cool, dark spot. I've had them survive over winter in the garden before but it's not reliable.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Thanks ButterflyLady29, I think that is what I am going to do, I was going to try to start them indoors early but I think I will just wait and plant them directly in the ground when it gets warm enough.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

101_2312.JPG
Fast forward to May 30, here are my Gladiolus, they are really getting tall!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Beautiful! You'll love them when they bloom.

Since they are in a pot you can just move the pot inside and keep it in a cool dark area over the winter, then take it back out in the spring. Once the stems die (usually after being frosted) cut them back and move the pot inside. They won't need to be watered while they are dormant. The old corm will die and a new large one will form, and usually they make a lot of baby corms too. Those babies are hard to care for so leaving it all in a pot will give the baby corms a chance to grow and get larger next year.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Thanks Butterflylady, that will help while they grow and after they bloom, I did not know if I could keep them indoors or not over the winter. It sounds like you treat them like Amaryllis that way, that is one reason I have them in a pot, they are easier to take care of.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Fast forward to July 5th, it looks like the Glads are getting ready to open, they have buds that have separated. I want to know how much longer until they bloom? I can see some color now, but I don't know how much longer until they show bright full color.
101_2399.JPG

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

101_2425.JPG
updated, these flowers are opening fast! Here is what I found this afternoon. Aren't they gorgeous?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Does anyone know how big Sugar Plum Gladiolus blooms get?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

101_2429.JPG
It seems like when these get going, they go fast! I just posted the 5th and they have opened up already! There is also another one that is opening too! They are so bright and vivid! I do have a question, is the white things hanging down the pollen?

Return to “Perennials”