roseycheeks
Green Thumb

How & When Should I Start Checking on Planted Chrysanthemums

How and when should I start to check my mums that are planted outside? I went out and all I could see was dead or dormant. It is in the 50's and should be in the 60's the rest of the weekend and the next week. Where will the new growth come from (if any)?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All the old dead chrysanthemum stems are usually cut down in the fall. Chrysanthemum usually keeps its basal leaves down at soil level through the winter. Looks about like this.

New stems will come up from the soil in the midst of the basal leaves.

And no, it would be very early in Ohio to see growth now. They are fall bloomers and the fall bloomers are the last to get started in the spring.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener, your picture did not come through, so in other words just leave it alone for now? I can cut the dead stems off to the ground if you think it will help. I just had my neighbor plant them and did not cut the stems off because I read that it will help trap snow to act as a insulator. But I can cut them down to ground level if you think that is best.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hmm, sorry about that, the picture shows for me. Anyway, it just shows a basal rosette of leaves right at soil level.

It's nearly the ides of march. You don't need to worry about holding snow for insulation any more! (Even in Ohio! :) ). Yes cut all the old dead stems off at ground level, for cosmetics and to make more room for the new stems to grow.

Then just be patient! :)

And you know to cut the growing tips of mums off at memorial day and the fourth of July, right? That just makes them bushier and increases the number of blooms.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I did that today, rainbowgardener, I cut them down pretty far, told my hubby I gave them a haircut! tee hee! I will keep an eye on them, I raked some leaves burnt them in the fire pit and we had some old boards and we burnt them too, so we had a small fire today. I saw that the greenhouse on Van Horn curve where we live has gotten plants in already, I am going to try to convince my sweet hubby to get me earlier plants so I can plant them so they can get established before the hot weather gets here. So wish me luck! :wink: My tiger lilies are coming up so are my naked ladies and my Irises, everything is starting to grow here, will show you pictures when I get some.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I think my mums are coming back! I just went out and checked all my flowers and everything is coming along real good. I need for my friends on here to tell me if I am just seeing weeds or is that a new growth on my mums.
101_2183.JPG

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Looks like a queen annes lace seedling. The new growth will come from the root area, not the stems.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Thanks butterflyLady29, I have never had one to come back. Should I start watering it or leave it be for now? How can I be sure that it is still alive? Is there any kind of test?

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Forget about the mums, the fellow who is mowing the yard cut them off, I don't know if they were going to come back, I don't think so, the branches were dry and brittle.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Will the mums come back even if the branches are cut off but the base is still there?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

They come back from the roots, not the stems. It just got a low cut, if it's alive it didn't hurt it.
No water unless you were in the part of Ohio that missed yesterday's deluge.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Thanks butterflylady29, it is raining now.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Got a picture for you let me know what you think it is, I hope it is new growth for the mums.
101_2187.JPG

Return to “Perennials”