roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Propagating my snake plant

I decided to try to propagate my snake plant, I watched a video and did it the same way he did, hopefully it works, I would LOVE to have some more snake plants around the house. Would like to see the parent plant grow bigger. Will let you know the progress.
101_2051.JPG

imafan26
Mod

If you get a piece of the root it is easy.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Yeah, Snake Plants are easy. Every few years, I get a butcher knife and cut through the middle of mine and make 2-3 more plants. Yes, they will grow from a leaf cutting, but for me, that takes too long. Any piece with a little piece of root will "root".

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

How much quicker is it with the root than just the cutting?

catgrass
Green Thumb

With the root-I'd say within 2 weeks you would have a good rooted plant. Not sure about the leaf because I never paid attention to it. If I had one break off, I'd just stick it in the ground a leave it alone.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I decided to put my snake plant on the table close to the window, I am trying to propagate it by a cutting. It looks good where it is, I was going to put it in the picture window but it gets real cold there.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Snake plants can survive just about any light. Over winter, I have mine in my kitchen about 10 feet away from a window. It does just fine. I also have some planted in a protected bed outside where they get full sun in the winter-does fine, which brings me to "how cold is cold?' I am in zone 9, but we do get some freezing nights, so I would think your cold room is not cold enough to kill it.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

101_2293.JPG
I tried propagating my snake plant, I used a leaf cutting and had 3 pieces planted in the sand mixture, two of the cuttings did not do anything but one actually rooted. But I have a question, the original piece has dried, what do I do with it now? Any advice would be appreciated. Here is the picture.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I use root hormone for propogating plants. It sends a message to the plant: "hey plant, it's time to make roots now".

imafan26
Mod

Just another weed in my yard, I just keep having to pull out.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Roseycheeks-cut it off at soil level.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Took the snake plant cutting out of the sand and put in moist vermiculite see how that works out.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I tugged slightly on the snake plant cutting and there was some resistance! I have it under the grow light and am trying to keep it moist.

Return to “Perennials”