lash
Newly Registered

Achillea Clypeolata getting eaten

My achillea clypeolata is getting eaten by birds (sparrows, as far as I've seen) before it has a chance to grow out / flower. Is this a normal problem with this plant? Doesn't happen to any of my other plants. Any efficient tricks to scare them off?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lash, I have a hard time imagining the bird that would eat achillea. Maybe ...

Here's what Wikipedia says: "Achillea species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species - see list of Lepidoptera that feed on Achillea."

I see that some are moths but there are some pretty butterflies in the list. Why don't you take a careful look to see if there is a caterpillar on the plant.

Scaring birds was easy with a stuffed cat my daughter enjoyed as a child. The toy cat needs to be moved around frequently and being partially hidden seems to terrifies birds. Yes, there are plastic snakes used for the same purpose.

Steve

lash
Newly Registered

Wonderful idea with the cat snake. Maybe a cat partially hidden in the mouth of a snake would be the holy grail of sparrow scaring?

I have seen the birds myself pecking away at the plant. But maybe they were after something else on the plant that was eating it; could that be possible?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Chickadees and Song Sparrows are my friends :).

Cornell says,"In spring, summer, and fall, insects, spiders, and other animal food make up 80-90 percent of their diet."

Song Sparrows are continuously searching my garden. Even House Sparrows will clean aphids off plants ... altho they aren't the best garden visitors.

Perhaps your achillea isn't as strong scented as many are and an acceptable snack for birds.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

lash wrote:
I have seen the birds myself pecking away at the plant. But maybe they were after something else on the plant that was eating it; could that be possible?
Yes indeed. If your plant had flowered and set seed, maybe birds might come and eat the seeds, but birds, especially sparrows are not going to be eating the green plant. The only other possibility would be in spring time, birds might be taking bits of the plant for nest building, but even that is quite unlikely. Sparrows build their nests out of twigs, grasses, and plant fibers, but they would want plant fibers that can more easily be pulled off than trying to get any from your living yarrow. And now is the wrong season anyway...

Return to “Perennials”