StephD
Newly Registered

How to fight wimpy Foxgloves??

I'm relatively new to gardening- I've had 2 seasons with a yard to play in. I'm in SE Wisconsin and I have somewhat clay filled soil.

This year I got 3 beautiful Foxgloves that have been planted along the side of my garden shed. Partial shade, decently well draining soil and mulched over a bit.

After the main spikes wilted, I let them dry out a bit in hopes it will reseed itself as I've heard Foxglove does. I cut back the spikes on each plant to encourage more flowering.
I honestly thought I would kill them doing that but all 3 plants have sent up multiple spikes since then! Woohoo! :lol:

The only problem is all these secondary spikes are barely the diameter of a pencil and can't support more than 3 or 4 blossoms without flopping over. I've tried staking and fertilizing and changing my watering but nothing has made any difference.

What happened to my 3ft tall flowers??
Slowly learning things the hard way, but as long as I have dirt under my finger nails, I'm calling any failures a success!

StephD
Newly Registered

Re: How to fight wimpy Foxgloves??

Just to clarify, I have digitalis purpura not the grandiflora(?) variety.
Slowly learning things the hard way, but as long as I have dirt under my finger nails, I'm calling any failures a success!

Return to “Perennials”