HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

My Crocosmia has yellow leaves

The yellow leaves on my Crocodmia. Do you think it could be the concrete?
Attachments
image.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Here's another picture from a different angle.
Attachments
Here
Here

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Crocosmia is quite drought tolerant, which means that it does not like soggy soils. Yellowing leaves like that is often a sign of over-watering. Does the little spot there stay wet a lot?

They like pretty much sun and that spot next to the fence looks like it might be shady. Shade would interact with the water issue - plants need and will take up more water in sun than in shade.

Over-watering/ water-logging can also cause issues with nutrients, making it difficult for plants to take up nutrients.

The concrete could contribute. Crocosmia likes slightly acid soil. If the concrete is leaching, it would make the soil more limey/ basic. High pH, alkalinity, can tie up minerals including iron and manganese, boron, copper, and zinc, and other nutrients such as phosphorus, and can lead to yellowing. Check your soil with a pH meter.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

My 2 c worth on crocosmia. I have the red, Lucifer. One small group has been in ground, well lets say a long time, and mostly ignored. I added a few more last year, again, somewhat ignored. They get partial shade, average soil. I wouldn't water them, but near a pineapple sage that is thirsty.
I wouldn't use it as a single specimen plant, but stick in with others. The bloom time is short, and leaves, when green, add some texture to the perennial bed.
It is not native (S Africa I think), bloom time short, but I still 'need' it. The Lucifer has the most amazing electric red blooms.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thank you. I love this plant. I want to get the ofher varieties. I will try to find 'red lucifer'. There are some big red ones along the sidewalk at my workplace. They are gorgeous.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Susan W,
I have some red in a different spot. Perhaps it is the Lucifer. It's not as tall as the red ones that are along the sidewalk at my workplace.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Here is a picture of the red ones. Just 2.
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Perennials”