corrinne
Newly Registered

Snowdrop bulbs everywhere (Welsh garden)

As I've been replanting new plants, I'm coming across loads and loads of snowdrop bulbs. Do I leave them there, or can I pot them and put them in the greenhouse? Some of them were just below the surface and when I cleared the moss away they were visable. I put some in a pile and put soil over them covering all of them, but the ants just made a huge nest over them. I love snowdrops and can't wait to see the garden full of them, put I'm running out of places to plant anything else because of these bulbs everywhere,... There are some other bigger bulbs too, they weren't bluebells or tulips because they didn't flower... or they could be dead ones, hmmm.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If there are that many bulbs, it is generally best to remove some of them. You can certainly plant some up in pots in the greenhouse, just make sure that you don't crowd them into the pot and plant them the right direction. I have the same problem with a large bed that the bulbs have been "naturalizing" for over 60 years (previous owners, obviously). I cull out the small ones as well as some of the excess every year and the bed seems to be just a crowded the following spring as it was this spring.

Return to “Perennials”