pinksand
Greener Thumb

Vine Recommendation

About a year ago I asked here for a shrub recommendation to help add privacy. Well the shrub was accidentally destroyed during another yard project and I've decided that it isn't safe to plant something in its place in case we need access for a bobcat in the future. Someone on the forum had recommended a lattice trellis instead and I think it will be the prefect solution at this point!

That said, I need some vine suggestions. I've been considering Carolina Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens), but am a little nervous to plant it since it appears to only be hardy to my zone. Another thought was climbing hydrangea which a local nursery currently has on sale (it's a substantial size too). The trellis will be about 4'w x 6'H and set up against my fence. The vine can climb the trellis and then has extra horizontal space to spread along the fence as well. However, I don't want anything so heavy that it takes down my fence. The trellises I've been looking at are PVC and say they can handle any vine.

Any thoughts?

KeyWee

I have both of the vines you mentioned. As with any plant, they all have their pluses and minuses. We recently were "upgraded" from z6b to z7a, so you and I are in fairly similar climates. The jessamine will do fine in your zone since I've had mine for years. If you want something fast-growing, you could use this vine. Also, it is fairly evergreen in winter, although it took a hit in the harsh winter last year, it came back fine. It has a tendency to get heavy-ish, but you can keep it trimmed back. The climbing hydrangea is VERY slow-growing, although it can get huge and very heavy over time. I have had mine for about 5 years and it is barely up to the top of our 6' fence. It also prefers some shade, so if your spot is sunny, the jessamine is best. If you have any other questions that I missed, let me know:)

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Thanks KeyWee! It's great to hear about your experiences with these vines being in a similar zone. I think I'm leaning towards the Jessamine. I completely forgot to include site information! It's currently a site that gets about 4-6 hours of sun with sandy acidic soil.

KeyWee

I think the jessamine would be a good choice. It will grow in shade or sun, but a sunny spot will produce more of the yellow blooms. You know, I could send you several starts of it if you want. No sense buying it in a garden center if it is high (can't recall what I paid ALL those years ago ~ probably ten years now). I have lots of little babies coming up due to its drastic cut-back after last year's harsh winter. It is easy to pull the babes and get a decent root right now ~ especially after all the rain we have been having. Let me know.

Return to “Perennials”