Biscuit
Newly Registered

Agastache Tango Help

I am very new to gardening and don't know all the proper terms. I have an Agastache that has broken (where the stems come together at the bottom) . I want to save all parts of the plant. Right now the broken off parts are sitting in a vase of water until I get advice on how to save it! I tried looking for a video for help, but I wasn't able to find one.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Ditto the above advice, & don't despair too much, as chances are extremely good that the remaining plant will sprout new growth. Agastache varieties are a very hardy group.

Biscuit
Newly Registered

So, now I have to figure out how to do cuttings of this plant. The flowers have not bloomed yet on the stems that I have. I have been watching a lot of You Tube videos but have not found anything helpful for the Agastaches in particular. After work yesterday I bought some rooting hormone from Home Depot. I also got some organic potting soil. Last time I bought soil that was for the garden and it said NOT to use for containers. There are simply so many choices, It gets so confusing for the novice planter like me.

After I make the cutting, save some parts of the bottom of the stem at the cutting to encourage root growth, dip in water, dip in rooting hormone, place in soil, and water (do I have this part right so far????); do I then place in some sort of covered container (like a greenhouse)? I have never done this before.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Any type of soil might lead to fungus/rot(pthyuim) and other problems, so keep an eye on them. I would try a course sand or DE in kitty liter form or any sterile media. You can also use honey for a root hormone instead of the root tone. I use my aquaponic beds and honey for herb propagation. Most all of the mint family will root easily which is most all herbs, balms, hyssop, augastache and many more. You can pretty much trim them to the ground and they will come back. The trick is to keep it from rotting before it rots when it come to propagating. Low light/heat and good humidity help.

Return to “Perennials”