Roseymel

Suggestions for perennials....

I have a walkway up to my front door. One side grass, the other, interlocking brick. It is about 15' long. And 2.5' wide. About 5-6 hours of sun. I am in southern ontario...probably zone 6 or 7?

I would like a few suggestions to fill in the space with yellow, white, maybe purple?
Hopefully a long flowering period as well!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum. You are in zone 6a. This is a link for zone 6 perennials.

https://www.gardenguides.com/87073-peren ... one-6.html

A picture of your space would help.

Perennials die back in winter so keep that In mind.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing more from you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed, pictures of the area and the house it is leading up to would really help.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since you never came back, I'll just throw out a few suggestions anyway to try to keep the conversation going.

Some hardy, easy care, longer blooming perennials include:

yarrow (hybrid versions have considerably showier flowers, can be yellow or white)

milkweed (very important for monarch butterflies, usually red/ pink but there is a white version)

coreopsis (sunny yellow, very long blooming)

coneflower (usually pinkish but there is a white version)

beebalm (usually red or pink, but there is a white version)

sunflowers (yellow)

shasta daisy (white)

perennial salvia v. May Knight (long blooming perennial in a deep purple)

lavender (long blooming perennial in deep blue/purple, fragrant, honeybees like it, you can use it as herb)

True purple flowering perennials are rare other than the above two, but you can fill in with bulb flowers like tulips and iris.

Daylilies are super easy and come in a rainbow of different colors patterns, etc. There are earlier and later flowering versions, so you can keep the show going longer by choosing different varieties.

You can edge your space with lower growing annuals like petunias that will keep pumping out flowers all season long.

Roseymel

Thank you for all the suggestions! I've been researching all perennials! I was at a friends home and saw a flower I really liked......I didn't take a pic and he has no idea what it is!!!! It was about 1' tall, yellow flowers - the buds were reddish, any idea what I may be talking about??

imafan26
Mod

I was talking to someone at our Master gardener certification celebration and she takes care of the butterfly garden at Foster Garden. She said that some states are banning planting milkweeds because they are invasive pests but that it is impacting the monarchs especially since they feed exclusively on milkweeds.

Monarchs are thriving in Hawaii, they love the crown flower. Monarchs are not native to Hawaii.

You have always suggested planting natives, they are always a good choice since they are already adapted to the climate.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Roseymel wrote:Thank you for all the suggestions! I've been researching all perennials! I was at a friends home and saw a flower I really liked......I didn't take a pic and he has no idea what it is!!!! It was about 1' tall, yellow flowers - the buds were reddish, any idea what I may be talking about??
It could have been a Coreopsis or a Gaillardia (aka "Blanket Flower"). Both are popular yellow-flowering sun-loving perennials.

Roseymel

Here is a pic I found - anyone know the name of this?
Attachments
image.jpg

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Looks like it could very well be "Evening Primrose".

Roseymel

Ok, thank you! I will investigate:)

Return to “Perennials”